FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By blueovalgal
Wow, looks really good! I have/bought a plant which looks similar to yours and in that same potting mix... I think that mix is peat? Anyway, I washed that mix off, divided, and repotted into spag moss... so far so good... (newbie here.)
By optique
Did your roots look like the ones in the photo I posted? Soaked them in water for 30min then used the garden hose on it, and it wanted to stay together. Instead of tearing the tiny black roots I just stopped.

I went by where I got it from last week they still had 3 of the 6 they got in the day I got mine, and they looked so bad. Like 6 pitchers each and no new growth at all. They are under a 50% shade cloth must be going dry?
By Fieldofscreams
Now that you have had it long enough and you know that it has adapted to your conditions you would be fine just ripping the root ball apart. You will break roots but the plants will be fine.

Soak it for a good hour and just start pulling it apart. Once you have repotted put them back where they were before. They will continue to grow like nothing happened.

It's a ventrata, it's nuke proof.
By blueovalgal
Yes, the roots on my plants looked the same. I was able to get most of the potting mix out, tried to untangle the roots to its respective parent plant, and tore apart the rest.

I did as Fieldofscreams wrote above.

Haven't been able to figure out how to post my location but I'm in Zone 10 in Southern CA. I have my plants hanging outside in the patio where they receive late afternoon sun, and they've been out there for a few months. All are doing well. (One plant was purchased from a big box store and two plants were purchased from a local garden center.)
By optique
Moved this thing inside for the winter and it had to be watered everyday still, guess its a size + bad media + only 50% humidity thing. moved it from a 6in to a 12in pot(only white hanging pot i could find) left the media intact just packed 100% LFSM around it. Seems to have solved the issue.

By Fieldofscreams
I just moved mine inside two weeks ago too.

They will start killing off pitchers with the lack of light and humidity but the plus side is they will continue to grow like crazy until spring, then back outside they go.
By optique
That is the south side of the sun room, the plant has a slight tan now unlike when i had it outside. After a week of full sun i should be able to judge if its getting to much light. If all is good i might move my more fancy neps out of the west side. To much tropical stuff from the gulf to judge now.
By optique
gave up on keeping it shaped, put it behind the storage building to get adjusted to being out doors. then chop it up and make more.
and now its blooming
i "think" that a female? is it fertile? i also have a ventricosa male in bloom can i make seeds?Image

EDIT 7-16-20

Seeds seem very likely

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!