FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By ColoradoCarnivorous
Hello,
I have been growing Nepenthes and other CPs for about five years. In the last five months I put together a grow tent for my lowland Nepenthes and I want to start growing sphagnum moss to put on my Nepenthes. I ordered some from ebay and it just arrived today. It looks healthy but while I was inspecting it I say a tiny red little insect walking around..... :|
I don't want to introduce any harmful pests into my greenhouse, is this something to worry about? What can I do?

TIA
By Panman
It is probably some type of mite. I don't think they are harmful. You could submerge the moss entirely in water for a few days. It shouldn't hurt the moss and may get rid of any unwelcome guests.
By ColoradoCarnivorous
While inspecting more I saw at least three spiders, one worm looking thing, I think I also saw what looked like a centipede?
In addition to that red small insect. Can I wash it with regular water and then rinse it with RO water?
By ColoradoCarnivorous
Panman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:58 am It is probably some type of mite. I don't think they are harmful. You could submerge the moss entirely in water for a few days. It shouldn't hurt the moss and may get rid of any unwelcome guests.
Will soaking the moss for three days be too long? Can I use regular tap water first and then rinse it with RO water?
By ChefDean
For the moss, regular tap water will be fine, just flush it out with rain or distilled after. Heck, in Denver you could probably still collect enough snow to melt to flush it out.
I would suggest some rocks to help hold the moss well under the surface for about three or four days.
By ColoradoCarnivorous
ChefDean wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm For the moss, regular tap water will be fine, just flush it out with rain or distilled after. Heck, in Denver you could probably still collect enough snow to melt to flush it out.
I would suggest some rocks to help hold the moss well under the surface for about three or four days.
We are fresh out of snow in Denver :lol:
Would have to go to the mountains to get some. I was thinking of putting it in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage so that it can't infest any plants. Will keeping it in the dark that long kill the moss?
By ChefDean
Sphagnum grows in the northern latitudes, and is covered by snow for sometimes 6 months. It should be fine in your garage for a few days.
You're good.
Supercazzola liked this

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!