FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By calusa747
I’m pretty new to keeping carnivorous plants so bear with me. I’ve had my Drosera filiformis var. floridana since last summer, and it was really healthy; amazing growth, awesome coloration, flowering like crazy in July through August, and caught a lot of bugs. When autumn hit, it started to die off, so I decided to keep it underneath (along with a pitcher plant) a plastic tub on the porch to shield it from the cold and winter winds (I live in the Appalachians of NC so winters here can be pretty brutal). However, throughout the winter, I didn’t water too much (I know you’re supposed to keep the soil damp during dormancy but I was afraid of freezing so I only did so a handful of times; plus, it’s usually humid all throughout the year in the area so I didn’t think too much of it) and whenever I checked the soil it was pretty dry. As the weather has warmed, I’ve put them back out (inside the tub right-side up this time to shield them from cold night breezes) but don’t expect to see much growth until it significantly warms back up. I’ve started to keep the soil damp as I have always been, but I’m afraid that it went too long without water and it’s hibernacula ended up dying through winter. I’ve been searching all over to see if anyone has had something similar happen and I’ve come up with nothing, and I’m unsure how to tell if it’s dead or still dormant.

If worst comes to worst I’ll buy new plants and be more conscientious next time.

I appreciate the help y’all.
Attachments:
IMG_4641.jpg
IMG_4641.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
IMG_4640.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg (3.81 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
IMG_4639.jpg
IMG_4639.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 2947 times
By optique
I would give it some time just in case. You never know

Until you get your sundew care down, take a leaf in side to grow over the winter as a back up. I got my FL.red late last fall, so i took a leaf cutting inside as back up. now i have extra plants.Image
By ChefDean
Filiformis var Floridana has evolved to not need a dormancy. That's not to say that it won't survive a cold dormancy, as subtropical varieties of temperate species are still genetically predisposed to go dormant given the right cues. I have a pot of D. intermedia "Cuba", all seed grown, half the pot went dormant, the other half kept growing, it depended on which side got the sun.
I think your var Floridana can do a dormancy just fine, but I also think you hit it on the head when you said it was dry every time you checked on it, probably too dry for too long.
Just in case, keep it moist, and keep it outside in the sun. These plants are full of surprises.
By fluffy123
My Drosera x FL giant was left outside under covering last winter and it did not survive like my other Sundews did. Try to touch the hibernacula to make
sure its firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
If things are warming up by you, put it in a shallow water tray out in the sun.
It may surprise you and come back.
All it takes is a couple of live cells down there in the middle of your hibernaculum to get things started again.
If it doesn't, put out a request for a leaf cutting .
Someone can probably send one for the cost of the postage and padded envelope.
By fluffy123
These are one of my Drosera x Hybrida. They were outside in the winter here in NJ ( Native range ). They still don’t have dewy leaves yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supercazzola liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!