FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rudy1776
Howdy! I have always had trouble growing Pings and I am finally making some headway. I have been trying to grow this darn Gigantea for months! It has nearly died in the past and somehow managed to grow back via leaf pullings into what’s pictured below.

I recently noticed some strange orange stuff on some of its leaves. It looks like small specs of orange growth(?) that is causing holes/indentions in the leaf. The last time I saw this the plant started its decline. I tried to get as best of a photo I could with a jewelers magnifying glass. I cut off a piece of a leaf to take the photo. Any ideas what this is and how to stop it, if harmful?

Conditions:
-Inside my apartment on a grow rack under a Yescom 225 light (other CP’s are thriving).
-Ambient room temp and humidity
-Distilled water, tray watered a day or two after water is gone.
-Soil is original from purchase, peat and turface mix.

By ChefDean
Is it on a new leaf or an older leaf like the last one? Is it spreading to the entire plant?
A new, close up pic of the plant might help, with the leaf in question centered.
By hungrycarnivores
1. Gigantea is homophyllous and very succulent. It thus likes to be constantly moist. I water instantly after the water is done.
2. I think it's normal. I've seen this once or twice on my own plants. I think it's a combo of dehydration and maybe an insect, but unlikely, and some sunlight. If there is no spreading, don't be worried. Also, it there's green there's hope, so don't give up on your plants.
ChefDean liked this
By Rudy1776
ChefDean wrote:Is it on a new leaf or an older leaf like the last one? Is it spreading to the entire plant?
A new, close up pic of the plant might help, with the leaf in question centered.
Hi Chef! These seem to be appearing on older leaves, the ones further down the stem/plant base of the plant. I took some more photos the best I could, a few with a macro lens. I notice one other “older” leaf starting to do the same, but not as noticeable - the leaf is currently orangeish.

Quick recap of the grow environment: under a yescom 225 light on a small rack with other thriving cp plants. WATERING: this one I am not sure what is correct. Some say constant water in the tray, other say let is dry out a bit. I have been letting the water dry for a day or two before refilling.

Thanks Chef!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Rudy1776
hungrycarnivores wrote:1. Gigantea is homophyllous and very succulent. It thus likes to be constantly moist. I water instantly after the water is done.
2. I think it's normal. I've seen this once or twice on my own plants. I think it's a combo of dehydration and maybe an insect, but unlikely, and some sunlight. If there is no spreading, don't be worried. Also, it there's green there's hope, so don't give up on your plants.
Howdy! Thanks for the reply! I am currently watering when the tray is dry for a day or two. Like my reply to chefdean mentions, I hear so many mixed thoughts on Ping watering, I have no clue. I am by no means great with pings haha.

I could increase watering a bit? If insects, I could use some Bayer 3-1 on the soil for the plant.

Air circulation may be an issue by my grow rack too

By ChefDean
Maybe do as HC does and water as soon as the water in the tray is absorbed rather than let it dry out a couple of days. It does look like the plant is sacrificing the older leaves to a point so that more resources go to the growing leaves.
Plus, since it's only affecting older leaves, you can pretty much rule out a bug. A bug would generally strike at the younger, more tender leaves, and it's not spreading.
One thing at a time. Try keeping it more moist first and see if that makes a difference. I wouldn't worry about the 3 in 1, I don't think it's a bug and I don't see mold, which also says airflow is sufficient.
I don't use artificial lighting, so I can't say anything to that.
Good luck.
By hungrycarnivores
ChefDean wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:56 pm
Plus, since it's only affecting older leaves, you can pretty much rule out a bug. A bug would generally strike at the younger, more tender leaves, and it's not spreading.
100/100 on the nail Chef. If it's older leaves going, its generally either stress or natural. If that brand new unpopped pitcher suddenly is looking funky, or the growth point has strange markings, it's time to consider a pest. Plus, most bugs don't even get onto pings.
By Apollyon
Only pest I've personally seen hit a ping was aphids and they break down a leaf pretty fast.

As far as conditions, If the plant is in open air, don't worry too much about that. But with watering, I use a mix similar to this and I keep the water level fairly high all the time. I don't let it dry out at all (unless I'm forgetful). I've noticed that gigantea doesn't seem hold on to its leaves a long as some other pings. I'll be third to go with increasing your water level/frequency.
By Rudy1776
Quick update on this ping:

The leafs at question did end up dying off completely but new growth has taken its place. The new growth doesn’t show any signs of the same orange stuff at this time. Only concern is the level of white fuzz grown on the soil, not sure if that is a air circulation issue or not, but my others are not having the issue. Doesn’t seem to be an issue for the plant... yet? The soil is a peat moss & turface mix.
Photos below!

By Rudy1776
Rudy1776 wrote:Quick update on this ping:

The leafs at question did end up dying off completely but new growth has taken its place. The new growth doesn’t show any signs of the same orange stuff at this time. Only concern is the level of white fuzz grown on the soil, not sure if that is a air circulation issue or not, but my others are not having the issue. Doesn’t seem to be an issue for the plant... yet? The soil is a peat moss & turface mix.
Photos below!

Forgot to mention, I have increased the water level as recommended!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!