FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By tracieh
A couple weeks ago I bought 7 death cubes for $1 each because they looked mostly dead. I repotted them and 3 have survived and seem to be doing great. Still a little leggy but new growth is looking good. They seemed green but mostly black when I bought them. It's looking like somehow I got not typical (although I know for labeling I have to call them typical) fly traps. Or are they too close to my light and burning. Image

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
If your temps are staying above freezing at night, I'd put them outside in a spot that gets good indirect light for now, then move them into the morning sun after they recover.
As to their looks, Lowes seems to have gotten some nice ones this Spring. I got this one a couple of weeks ago.
20210402_091633.jpg
20210402_091633.jpg (304.96 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
If it flowers, I'm going to self it and see what pops up.
By tracieh
We currently have snow on the ground. I had them outside a few days last week.

By ChefDean
tracieh wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:21 pm We currently have snow on the ground. I had them outside a few days last week.

Then no rush. They look pretty good for what they've been through. A couple more weeks and you should (fingers crossed) be able to get them outside. They'll take off then.
By tracieh
I guess my main question is given that they were green is it normal for them to be reddish maroon now?

Pics from when I repottedImageImage

By ChefDean
If they have a propensity for red coloration, that will come out with good light.
You had them under good grow lights, Lowes (and probably Bug Biting Plants) didn't. When they get out under unfiltered sunlight, they'll like continue with the red, maybe even getting more intense.
By ApgarTraps
tracieh wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm I guess my main question is given that they were green is it normal for them to be reddish maroon now?

Pics from when I repottedImageImage

Reddish-maroon is normal in spring.

Here's a few of my maroon "typicals" today, emerging from dormancy in north Georgia. (You can see they are dusted with tree pollen!)
maroon VFTs.jpg
maroon VFTs.jpg (822.76 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
Re: "burned" from the light source -- I wouldn't be the least bit concerned, as long as they aren't getting warm (>95F) from your light source.

The maroon color seems to be a normal phase as the plants recover from stress or emerge from dormancy: mine do that after re-potting each spring. If they are "typicals", they'll turn green soon. Keep us posted as they progress: I think you'll be happy. Get them into real outdoor sunlight as soon as your nighttime temps stay above 30-ish.

$1 a plant -- wow!
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!