FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By samo
Hello everyone.

My Drosera was growing very vigorously and healthily but it had a bad case of aphids. A couple of wb sites I visited (I didn't come to this one sadly!) suggested cutting it back and soaking it in water for a couple of days.

Well I did that and it definitely got ride of the aphids, but nothing is happening at all with the plant. It's been 3 or 4 weeks since it's dunking and nothing is sprouting or anything.

I keep it on a windowsill so it receives a fair bit of light, and I water it only with rainwater.

Have I killed it?

It is a Drosera capensis Broad Leaf.

Thanks

Samo
By samo
Yes you're right, all the green has gone.

I had expected some sprouts fairly quickly.. I guess I'm being impatient.

Bearing all this in mind how would you suggest I care for it until it "wakes up"

Thanks
By ChefDean
Keep it moist, warm, and in good light. Like SR101 said, it can take a few months for new Capelings to sprout, I've had strikes show 6 months after putting down cuttings. That's not the norm, more like 2 months, but mine was in wintertime on a cool windowsill.
Don't give up just yet, you got this!
By uxleumas
From my (very small)experience, capes are pretty hard to kill. if there's no green left, there's still a very good chance that the roots will make small plants. i just suggest that chef dean said, to keep it moist. maybe treat it with a bit of hydrogen peroxide(add about a tsp during the next time you water it). pictures would be helpful though
By Huntsmanshorn
samo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:31 pm Bearing all this in mind how would you suggest I care for it until it "wakes up"
Well, you could dig up the roots, chop them into one inch pieces, put them on a bed of soggy peat (or Sphag), with high humidity, lots of bright light and warm temps, and in a few weeks you will have more capensis than you know what to do with, but ChefDean's plan will probably leave you with more capensis than you know what to do with anyway, it's easier, not as scary, and a lot less messy soooo...
By samo
Hi
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

This is what it looks like now...

I'll keep it warm and light for a while longer and see what happens.

Possibly it wasn't light enough here (I'm in London and it's only just come into spring). I had it on a window ledge next to a venus flytrap that was coming out of hibernation, and that's growing without traps due to the lack of sunlight,

I've put them both under a florescent light in a propagator so fingers crossed..
Attachments:
P4010327.JPG
P4010327.JPG (281.01 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
By samo
I should say btw that I'm not very good at keeping plants alive. I've been trying for years to overwinter venus flytraps and they've all died within a few weeks of coming out of hibernation. So, it's probably best if the drosera can sort itself out without my help.
By isaacsbees
I've seen worse-looking capes that revived with shoots after a month or so. Just keep waiting and don't slack on care, and you've got a good chance of recovery.
By Panman
The biggest danger you have with trying to get it back from that condition is rot. When the plant is not actively growing and using the water, the roots can become saturated and rot. You want to keep the soil damp but not wet. I would recommend getting the soil to the proper moisture level and then bagging it to help maintain it.

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!