FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
Anyone have good experience trying to revive dry sphagnum into that beautiful fluffy green moss?

Got some from Home Depot for my new nepenthes and found some good lookin red and green strands. Hopefully I see some new growth.

Sitting in water all day long, and getting full sun for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Supercazzola
It may be possible, but I thought they process it in a way that if done correctly, would make it almost impossible.
Why not just spend the money and save the time buying some live moss from some of the sellers on eBay ?
You could then grown and cultivate your own.

Also, just a heads up. You may soon see green, but it may be other algae growing on top on the dried / dead sphagnum.
By ChefDean
It can come back, I've had it happen on a few occasions, but it's uncommon. Plus, it really doesn't grow all that fast because theres not much if it.
Your best bet, if you want to grow live sphagnum, is to do like Supercazzola suggested and buy some from someone. There are a number of sites that have listings for it, and there are the occasional posts in this forum of people offering it up for sale.
Good luck.
By Panman
If you PM me, I can send you some starter threads of live sphagnum. You can chop them up and, in the right conditions, have a ton of moss in just a few months.
By Panman
I chopped it up into about 1 inch pieces. Here is a good video on growing sphagnum from Hampshire CP. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=833327014168576
Supercazzola liked this
By Z_Y
I've never had dried sphagnum bricks revive. Maybe the drying process kills all the spores?

I've purchased some live sphagnum from ebay last year but it seemed to have just been dug out of the ground, full of twigs and ants and other bugs. If someone has had a better experience with a different seller please let me know, I'm always looking for better sources.
By Panman
I'll probably have some later this summer. I have a 1020 tray that I keep moss growing in. I recently harvested it and sold it so it will be a few months before it is full again.
By elaineo
Is there a source for different species of sphagnum moss? I have an unlabeled green kind that grows well in part shade, but I'm looking for a species that grows at the surface of wild bogs.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!