FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Michiganderflytrap95
Hey there fellas, Michigan VFT grower here, enjoying the hobby of buying and caring for VFTs successfully since 2017. Just had a question about this plant in particular, in the pics attached. I'm pretty sure that this is sphagnum moss growing, but wasn't 100% sure? A little over a year ago, it started off as a singular shoot. It kept growing taller and taller, very slowly, and eventually started branching out over the later part of last year and well into this year. It's certainly beautiful and I've never seen anything quite like it before. It has the same physical characteristics as live sphagnum moss. Also, to note, I purchase the dead moss from this website for my growing medium, not live. I find that it eventually turns green in spots and starts to come to life under the sunlight and when given water. What do you guys think?
39043F50-EE6E-4CAC-B20D-939CB1F05ABF.jpeg
39043F50-EE6E-4CAC-B20D-939CB1F05ABF.jpeg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 2067 times
35CD7497-CF79-4AAC-8C21-772B0B2DBFF7.jpeg
35CD7497-CF79-4AAC-8C21-772B0B2DBFF7.jpeg (3.51 MiB) Viewed 2067 times
By ChefDean
That's not moss, that's a type of evergreen plant. My mom gets similar ones, and she let one grow once. It grew into a small bush, but otherwise unremarkable. She now just pulls them out, you might want to yank it as well.
As to the "dead" moss turning green; it's not necessarily dead. Some may be alive, just dormant in its desiccated state. I've had moss come back to life as well.
Matt liked this
By Michiganderflytrap95
Thank you very much for the quick reply! It's very appreciated. I was thinking of at least moving it to a different location, because it keeps getting bigger. Do you know of what type of evergreen it is, to be specific? If you don't, it's no big deal.
By ChefDean
Sorry, I don't know what kind. The ones that I encountered growing in my moms yard only got to about two feet tall and a scraggly 18 inches wide if we let them grow or missed seeing them. They were feathery soft, which surprised us, but weren't wanted. Now we just pull them out as we find them, they are a weed as far as we care.
By EricF
I’ve lived around around several types of evergreen trees my whole life. I do think it is an evergreen tree. While the shape is very atypical, it looks like a hemlock tree based on the needle (leaf) type. It makes sense because we have vast bogs of sphagnum here and hemlocks grow nearby all over the place.
Supercazzola liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!