FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
So i have a table full of Sarracenia I am going to try to sell locally this year. 90%+ are sending up flower stalks and should really help me sell them. Thursday night temps are going to be 29f. Should i cover my plants or move them in side a none heated building will frost even effect the flower stalks?
Last edited by optique on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Panman
If it is going to freeze and warm up the next day I would certainly cover them and move what you can inside. I wouldn't want to risk the flowers.
Kray liked this
By ChefDean
I'm going to experience the same thing later this week for a couple of nights, down to a forecasted 27°F. All my plants are on small racks that I can just bring inside my kitchen overnight, is that an option?
If not, a cover with a small space heater on low will keep them above freezing. The difficult part may be making sure the warm airflow isn't hitting the plants directly, that may do as much damage by drying as the freezing would.
Kray liked this
By MikeB
I'm looking at the forecast for my location and debating whether I can get away with just a tarp covering or do I need to assemble the portable cold frame for Thursday night and Friday night.
By Panman
How many hours is it supposed to be below freezing. Pots of a decent size could probably stand an hour or two of freezing temps if under a tarp. You could even add some hot water bottles to raise the ambient temperature under the tarp.
By ChefDean
I received one of those divisions, and it went wild from day one. Now, we're expecting it to drop to 23°F here Thursday, so I gotta bring them in.
20210330_104137.jpg
20210330_104137.jpg (5.4 MiB) Viewed 3914 times
My banana trees however, they're going to have to deal with it and only get covered.
By ChefDean
They vary in size, but we have been getting up into the 70's.
The one in front is the leuco Tarnok from you. Behind it is a (rubra x oreophila) x purple burkii that is a little taller from Xanthoparmelia. Not seen is the alabamensis from Matt that is almost as tall as the Tarnok, just not as thicc. Then my productive but small ones, only about 1 to 3 inches tall, are my Hummers Hammerhead from Madrone with 6 stalks going up, and my Lowes deathcube (potential rubra cross) that was a dormant rhizome last spring that is putting up 8. Last, my fashionably late one, purpurea var venosa "Pender Co., NC" just decided to start putting up what appears to he a very robust stalk two days ago.
I'm going to self and bag the Tarnok, alabamensis, and the purp, but let the others go OP if they want to. Hopefully I can spread some love around this fall.

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!