FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nikolandia
So I just got a vft as a surprise gift for my birthday. I am a total noob when it comes to plants like this. I know I have to give it distilled or rain water, but I dont have easy acces to eather one.

Can I use water from something like this thing https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/wcsstore7. ... 5948_1.jpg

If not, what is the easiest and cheapest way to get distilled water? Please help.
By nimbulan
I'll second what boardlib said. Typical drinking water filters are only designed to remove chemicals and heavy metals from water - things that can be harmful to humans, not the minerals that are harmful to CPs. Zerowater brand filters will, though I'm not sure if those are available in Europe. Most people use reverse osmosis systems to produce water for their plants.
By boarderlib
I believe in Europe you can get automotive battery water from an auto part store as well. It's the same thing as distilled water here in the states, just marketed different. I would order a TDS meter and double check that just because I don't have hands on experience with it. I do know distilled is the only acceptable water for batteries, and coolant systems in cars.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By PitBulMom
Order a ZeroWater off eBay. ($40 USD)You can order extra filters (about $15 USD) or you might be able to sign up for ZeroWaters replacement filter program, the info is on the ZeroWater website.

https://www.zerowater.com/zerowater-products.php
By wareds
Ehmm, dude, the only filter pitcher that can produce acceptable water for CP's are the ones from Zerowater, all the others are not good enough. You might actually hurt your CP really hard using any other kind of water, however I might be mistaken.
By PeteB
Deionisedwater works for me and is available from B&Q in the motor section,or your local motor shop and during lockdown when every store was closed I used water from the tumble dryer with no ill effects to my plants.
By steve booth
As others have said, unfortunately not, have you got access to an AC unit, you can use the condensate from them if the coil is reasonably clean. Or if you've got a freezer that gets ice build-up you can use that.
Cheers
Steve

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!