FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SuzyAttitude
Apollyon wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:24 pm Oh you have one of those, I'd use both settings. 6500k (blue) is vegetation while 3000k(red) is conducive to flowering.

It's not a bad choice using red/blue though later if you find you want to see it differently. Check out Yescom 225 white panels. They're cheap and effective. Only reason I don't suggest it first is because it takes a while to actually show up and it needs to be hung on something. I use a "baker's rack" to suspend mine. If it's successful, you guys may consider getting more than one later one. For now though, any grow light would be good.
When I searched for grow lights on Amazon, they were almost all the blue/red lights so I didn't even think twice about it. If I'm able to get him healthy & thriving, I wouldn't be opposed to getting more and making my husband build me some sort of contraption to keep them on. We have a very nosy dog and cat so it definitely needs to be away from their reach.
By Apollyon
Yeah, I found out this week my dog has a thing for sphagnum moss. That kind of complicates things. Thankfully the weather is good here to bring most of my stuff out again. Going to be a problem if I don't have a solution by winter though :/

Racks overall are pretty cheap when you factor material costs and they are quite sturdy. I picked one up on amazon about 4 feet tall for 50 bucks and run my lights on the undersides with 1020c trays protecting them from water and all that.

I hope the plant pulls through. I think you'll be alright especially since you're getting everything in order. I can't say all of them will survive but a couple of them look like they have potential. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Keep us updated. I love come from behind stories like that :D
SuzyAttitude liked this
By SuzyAttitude
Apollyon wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:47 pm Yeah, I found out this week my dog has a thing for sphagnum moss. That kind of complicates things. Thankfully the weather is good here to bring most of my stuff out again. Going to be a problem if I don't have a solution by winter though :/

Racks overall are pretty cheap when you factor material costs and they are quite sturdy. I picked one up on amazon about 4 feet tall for 50 bucks and run my lights on the undersides with 1020c trays protecting them from water and all that.

I hope the plant pulls through. I think you'll be alright especially since you're getting everything in order. I can't say all of them will survive but a couple of them look like they have potential. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Keep us updated. I love come from behind stories like that :D
I hope you don't mind me popping back in here to ask you a question quick.. I took the suggestions about the water, light and the bag from above and have been doing so since Tuesday (the light since Wednesday). It looks like the sundew is turning slightly brown now. I read elsewhere that it could be that the light is too close so I backed it up some. Could there be another reason for this?

Also with the bag over it, should I be seeing any type of moisture on the inside of the bag at all? There isn't any but I don't know if maybe I poked too many holes in it or did something else wrong. I know it's only been a few days but I didn't want to wait too long to ask again.. Thanks for all your help!
By Apollyon
SuzyAttitude wrote: I hope you don't mind me popping back in here to ask you a question quick.. I took the suggestions about the water, light and the bag from above and have been doing so since Tuesday (the light since Wednesday). It looks like the sundew is turning slightly brown now. I read elsewhere that it could be that the light is too close so I backed it up some. Could there be another reason for this?

Also with the bag over it, should I be seeing any type of moisture on the inside of the bag at all? There isn't any but I don't know if maybe I poked too many holes in it or did something else wrong. I know it's only been a few days but I didn't want to wait too long to ask again.. Thanks for all your help!
Hey, not at all. That's what the forums are for :D

You actually do want some moisture inside the bag. It's a tell for if there is moisture in the air. If there isn't any, the humidity inside the bag isn't that high. Not to say there isn't any, but you should probably redo it. I don't know what kind of bags you're using but if it were me, if I was using a ziplock I'd keep it sealed, no holes. Open the bag once every day or two to recirculate the air, and then put it back in the bag. If you do it that way, you don't really need to tray water as the bag retains moisture for quite a while. I'd pour a small amount in the bottom for it to wick from time to time.

If you're using a clear bag from the top, I'd seal it around the pot with a rubber band and poke about 5 pinholes in the bag. I'd still check on it to make sure there isn't any mold forming. Poor air circulation will encourage it so it's good to keep an eye out. If it ate, the plants leftovers will eventually mold. I had that problem with some seedlings and I had to snip some leaves.

Discoloration is hard to judge without a picture. Light intensity can affect a plant's coloration, particularly if it's strong and its really close and the plant has been light deprived. I'd also be mindful of how much heat the light is generating. You're going to want to aim for some average (70-75ish) room temps and you can probably keep the bulb 8-10 inches away. It's possible some of those plants may not make it. They were in rough shape. Though if you're using clean water, have given it light, temps and humidity to ease it's growth while it tries to recover, you've honestly done everything you can do. Though I've had plants come back from certain death before. Re-bag it and let it do its thing.
Never underestimate their will and tenacity to survive
By SuzyAttitude
Apollyon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:11 am
SuzyAttitude wrote: I hope you don't mind me popping back in here to ask you a question quick.. I took the suggestions about the water, light and the bag from above and have been doing so since Tuesday (the light since Wednesday). It looks like the sundew is turning slightly brown now. I read elsewhere that it could be that the light is too close so I backed it up some. Could there be another reason for this?

Hey, not at all. That's what the forums are for :D

You actually do want some moisture inside the bag. It's a tell for if there is moisture in the air. If there isn't any, the humidity inside the bag isn't that high. Not to say there isn't any, but you should probably redo it. I don't know what kind of bags you're using but if it were me, if I was using a ziplock I'd keep it sealed, no holes. Open the bag once every day or two to recirculate the air, and then put it back in the bag. If you do it that way, you don't really need to tray water as the bag retains moisture for quite a while. I'd pour a small amount in the bottom for it to wick from time to time.

If you're using a clear bag from the top, I'd seal it around the pot with a rubber band and poke about 5 pinholes in the bag. I'd still check on it to make sure there isn't any mold forming. Poor air circulation will encourage it so it's good to keep an eye out. If it ate, the plants leftovers will eventually mold. I had that problem with some seedlings and I had to snip some leaves.

Discoloration is hard to judge without a picture. Light intensity can affect a plant's coloration, particularly if it's strong and its really close and the plant has been light deprived. I'd also be mindful of how much heat the light is generating. You're going to want to aim for some average (70-75ish) room temps and you can probably keep the bulb 8-10 inches away. It's possible some of those plants may not make it. They were in rough shape. Though if you're using clean water, have given it light, temps and humidity to ease it's growth while it tries to recover, you've honestly done everything you can do. Though I've had plants come back from certain death before. Re-bag it and let it do its thing.
Never underestimate their will and tenacity to survive
I'm using a ziploc bag and used a fork to poke some holes in it but I'm starting over with a fresh, unpoked bag. I don't see any mold so that's a good thing. I haven't fed it yet so there's no leftovers to worry about. I realize I should have added a few pics but my phone was at 2% at the time. I'll add some now, although they're not the best since it's nighttime currently. I have the light roughly 6in away and it doesn't feel like it puts out much heat to me. I'll back it up a tad more though.

Seeing your pic really gives me hope. I can't believe your plant came back from that!
Attachments:
20210327_210949.jpg
20210327_210949.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
20210327_211721.jpg
20210327_211721.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
20210327_212138.jpg
20210327_212138.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
20210327_212224.jpg
20210327_212224.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!