FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Those bottom ones look ready to pop. I would probably harvest the stalk but let it continue to use the energy from the stalk to ripen the top pods. If you leave it on until they are all ready you will have the lower ones spreading seeds.
By Apollyon
Yeah I agree, I had waited to harvest and now I have an albino carpet growing. good news is they over crowded eachother so I don't have them taking over my byblis pot
Panman, Supercazzola liked this
By evenwind
You can harvest them while the stalk is still attached to the plant. I wrote it up somewhere here but you can PM me if you want details.
By CPhunter101
Just harvested my first batch of D. Capensis seeds yesterday! :D I harvested the stalk when it looked something like that in the picture. The entire stalk was yellowish and all the flowers were dried. I can gurantee that by the time you harvest the stalk, you get tons of seeds! I dumped all my seeds in a 6 inch pot, can't wait for them to germinate!
By ChefDean
When I harvested mine, I did a combination of things. First, I would pull the parts of flower apart/off so I could see the ovary. Then, as each ovary ripened and began to darken, I pulled the ovary and put it in a small bowl. As the ovary dried and split, the seeds would empty into the bowl. Then I'd remove the husk with tweezers, giving it a few gentle shakes and squeezes to get any stubborn seeds to come out. Then do what you will with them.
Alternatively, you could just gently, very gently, bend the stalk over, put a big bowl or piece of paper under it, and tap the stalk. If they're ready, seeds will just rain out. It's best to do this a few times a day so you don't get too many seeds dropping into your pot. Then put the seeds in an origami envelope and figure out what to do with them.
It doesn't sound like it, but the first method is actually easier. You can put all the ovaries in a bowl and wait until they all dry out and split. Then only spend about 10 to 15 minutes separating the husk from the seed.
By tracieh
elaineo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:17 am what do you guys end up doing with all your cape seedlings? i'm thinking about using capes as top dressing instead of sphag moss 🤔
I sell my seedlings to help pay for my habit of buying new plants haha I am in a few plant groups in my area and not many people have tried carnivorous plants so they are curious about them.
I'm probably selling them for too cheap ($5 a pot) but last round I sold about 30 plants.
elaineo, Apollyon liked this
By Shadowtski
ChefDean wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:34 pm Then only spend about 10 to 15 minutes separating the husk from the seed.
An old fashioned kitchen screen sifter, especially an open open basket sifter, removes about 80% - 90% of the debris in a very short time.
Here's an internet image of one:
Sifter.jpg
Sifter.jpg (5.76 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
elaineo, Supercazzola liked this
By Apollyon
Another option would be to cut the buds off as they go black into an envelope and let them finish and dry out in there. Be surprised how many stragglers are in there after you think it's "done." Definitely like that sifter idea though, it'd work wonders with that.
By optique
I just held a sheet of paper under the bloom and tapped it every other day. I made a mixed pot this year i think i over did it.

By Apollyon
Not gonna lie that is pretty awesome. Like I might have to try that in one of my pots to make a "carpet of death." Who needs pygmy?
By Panman
I use a tea steeper that has very fine mesh for intermedia seeds. I crush everything up and throw it in the steeper and give a good shake the seeds drop through and I throw away the chaff.
Shadowtski liked this

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!