FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Adrien
Hello everyone I would like to make a thread where we could ask questions about freak cultivars, or cultivars in general, and how stable or not-stable they are.

I am looking into buying a bunch of freak cultivars and would like to know how stable some of the following cultivars are. If you have any other recommendations of freaks for me to buy let me know! Also feel free to ask questions of your own about a particular cultivar so that Matt can answer from his own experiences.

Cultivars, and cultivars similar, that I would like to know more about:
Angel Wings (Galaxy, MD Buttcheeks, etc...) Crocodile/korrigans, Freaky Star (biohazard as well), Master of disaster (Cerberus, mirror, etc...), and Pompom (cheerleader, st. Patrick’s beard, etc..)

Those are a few of the freaks I could think of but I’d love to see some suggestions. As for what I’d like to know more about with these cultivars are how stable they are (of course) and how vigorous they are compared to similar looking plants. Again, feel free to add questions of your own and what you’d like to know!
By Nepenthes0260
When I grew Angel Wings and Moon Traps (before birds ripped them up and used them as nesting material :lol:) they were extremely stable. Every year they made the same recurved traps. Really want to grow them again now...

Mirror doesn't reliably produce the "mirror" double traps. It seems to make them on occasion much more than other clones, but definitely not on every leaf.
Adrien liked this
By Matt
@Adrien, Thanks for posting this here to share with everyone else what I wrote you in the email I sent!

So far, any of the flytraps with multiple heads or flanges on the traps haven't been stable for me, including Mirror, Master of Disaster, and Cerberus. The same is true for the Pom Pom trapped flytraps, but I've only grown Cheerleader and St. Patrick's Beard so far.

Freaky Star is 100% stable and looks a lot like Biohazard. I'd highly recommend Freaky Star but not Biohazard.

Angel Wings is awesome and a must-have. Korrigans looks exactly like Crocodile but is far less vigorous, slow-growing, and dies easily. I would only recommend Crocodile and we focus on propagating that one ourselves. Korrigans was the first and is officially registered with the ICPS but Crocodile is identical and far superior.

MD Buttcheeks and Umgekrempelt are very similar but MD Buttcheeks is more vigorous and a USA original thanks to Maxim Dolecki!
Adrien liked this
By Adrien
Is there a fly trap similar to cupped traps that is more vigorous and makes larger traps? Other than Triton ofc.
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Is Alien a stable one?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yes alien is definitely stable, though a slow grower.
By Matt
Adrien wrote:Is there a fly trap similar to cupped traps that is more vigorous and makes larger traps? Other than Triton ofc.
Not that I can recall. Triton is awesome and a much larger and vigorous cupped trap clone but it looks quite different than the original classic 'Cupped Trap' flytrap.

I can't recall any other varieties that look like 'Cupped Trap' that are more vigorous and make larger traps.

Quite a number of years ago, I was hoping to create something like you're describing -- a giant and vigorous 'Cupped Trap' flytrap. Unfortunately, 'Cupped Trap' flowers are quite often deformed to the point where the stigma isn't receptive and it is impossible to get seed from them. However, they are occasionally formed well enough that they can receive pollen and get fertilized successfully.

At the time, I was partnered with Steve Doonan and he was able to successfully pollinate quite a number of 'Cupped Trap' flowers. He crossed them with giant flytraps we were growing at the time, like B52, Jaws, DC XL, etc., and sent me all the seed. I started it in TC and got about 100 different seedlings going. Unfortunately, none of them were cupped though some did have an unusual appearance.

A couple of years later, I did the same thing on my own with 'Alien' making a lot of crosses with giant flytraps. Again, none of them looked like the mother plant 'Alien' but they were pretty interesting-looking flytraps. Like 'Alien', the traps were generally longer than typical-looking flytraps but had a more normal shape to them. I wish I'd have kept some of the seedlings now because a few probably would have been worth naming. I might have to make some 'Alien' crosses again in the future...
Adrien liked this
By Carnies
Trichterfalle is one but doesn't produce huge cupped traps. However, I have a clone of cupped traps, labeled as funnel traps and weirdly, they fuse when the trap starts. Here's a photo comparison :
Attachments:
Funnel Traps
Funnel Traps
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 8.51.12 AM.png (43.84 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
Trichterfalle
Trichterfalle
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 8.51.21 AM.png (30.28 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
Adrien liked this
By Matt
Carnies wrote:Trichterfalle is one but doesn't produce huge cupped traps.
I've never seen 'Trictherfalle' fuse at the distal end like 'Cupped Trap' does. For me, it has always fused at the proximal end (nearest the leaf). The second photo that is labeled 'Trictherfalle' above looks to me to be 'Cupped Trap' and not 'Trictherfalle'. Where did you source it?

The first photo looks like a traditional pitfall trap found on 'Trictherfalle'.
By Carnies
I got my 'cupped traps' from CalCarn. Here's a pic showing the fuse at the start of the trap. The Trichterfalle pic is from Flytrapstore.
Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.50.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.50.19 AM.png (66.46 KiB) Viewed 5471 times
By Adrien
I just placed an order for ‘Tricherfalle’ and ‘angel wings’.
How stable is Tricherfalle?
How vigorous/stable is it compared to its similar counterparts like Schuppenstiel, cupped traps, and Tricherfalle x coquillage?
By Adrien
Carnies wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:09 pm Nice! From where?
Wicked botany, not sure how trusted they are but I got them for less than $20 each.

Also there is a cultivar by Craig called “CCCP Destruction” that resembles ‘Master of Disaster’, ‘Mirror’, and ‘Cerberus’. I have contacted him so I can receive more info. He has some for sale on his eBay for $90 per container holding more than 1 plant. I’m definitely interested.
By Matt
Carnies wrote:I got my 'cupped traps' from CalCarn. Here's a pic showing the fuse at the start of the trap. The Trichterfalle pic is from Flytrapstore.
Something's not right there. As far as I know and can recall, Trictherfalle doesn't make traps that are fused at the distal end, only at the proximal end. And that photo labeled Trichterfalle isn't from FlytrapStore. If it is, please provide a link to it. It sure does look like the 'Cupped Trap' product photo though:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus ... upped-trap

Looking through all of the photos of Trichterfalle on FTS, I only see traps fused at the proximal end, never at the distal end:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus ... chterfalle
Adrien wrote:How stable is Tricherfalle?
Not very stable. The unusual pitfall traps normally only happen in the spring and there is only a handful of them. The rest of the traps are typical-looking.
Adrien wrote:How vigorous/stable is it compared to its similar counterparts like Schuppenstiel, cupped traps, and Tricherfalle x coquillage?
It isn't terribly vigorous, but it isn't the weakest grower either. It is probably on par with Alien in terms of vigor, perhaps slightly more vigorous because it is a more efficient trapper with its normal-looking traps.

Schuppenstiel and Trictherfalle x Coquillage are both more vigorous than Trictherfalle.
Adrien wrote:Wicked botany, not sure how trusted they are but I got them for less than $20 each.
I heard of Wicked Botany for the first time about a year ago. Never ordered from them. Any idea who runs that website? Like @Carnies, I'd be interested in knowing how the plants are from them.
Adrien wrote:Also there is a cultivar by Craig called “CCCP Destruction” that resembles ‘Master of Disaster’, ‘Mirror’, and ‘Cerberus’. I have contacted him so I can receive more info.
Please post here what he says about that “CCCP Destruction”. My guess is that he started it from seed so maybe it is more stable than the other flange-producing clones. Craig used to be a member here but I think he got frustrated with a couple of forum exchanges and left. He seemed to not very well understand the concept of cloning plants as named cultivars versus starting plants from seed of a particular cultivar which results in genetically different plants and thus shouldn't be labeled the same as the parent plants.
Adrien liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!