FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By isaacsbees
I'd wager nobody is growing them as an edible crop, and that few people on this forum are here to turn a profit growing CPs. What keeps you all growing carnivorous plants year after year? Beauty? Fascination? Irony? Anti-arthropod sentiment?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Panman
I was fascinated with them when I came across drosera intermedia in a bog in Upstate New York. That started me on a 40ish year journey of success, failure, and disinterest. I picked it back up 20 or so years ago after seeing flytraps in the wild in the Green Swamp in North Carolina. I enjoyed my handful of species until I discovered this forum a year ago. Now I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 species/cultivars and I'm always looking to add to them. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't oblige me as much as I would like.
MikeB liked this
By tracieh
I like the fact it's not a popular hobby haha its not something every person in town is jumping on. It's a lot of fun to watch them grow and learn from them if they don't. They're not just pretty like a flower and not only food like a garden. They "do" things and are a learning experience.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

By DeadlyCarnivore
Fun. It gives me something to do and I LOVE how they look. The science behind them is cool, I have the Drosera of The World book set from Redfern as drosera are my favorite of the carnivorous plants. Plus plants overall are just nice.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Matt
Of course, Leah and I run a business around growing them, but we do have other businesses as well that we could choose to put more of our time into. What really keeps me interested in growing carnivorous plants year after year is how beautiful and unusual I find them to be. There is a lot of beauty in nature but I find the way carnivorous plants have evolved to be extremely fascinating and some of the leaf structures and functions you see in CPs aren't found in any other organisms in the world.
By Carnies
I love collecting things and love learning new things. CPs are still my favorite interest and it's just a really fun hobby. It teaches you how to be patient (I had to wait like 4 months to see my plants come out of dormancy). I did sell at a local farmers market and I just love teaching more people about plants.
By MikeB
Because everyone has bugs that eat their plants.

I have plants that eat my bugs. 8-)
Carnies liked this
By paulsflytrap
you know i have asked myself that same question,
considering the long term extra time and money i have put into
my little hobby, But for me its because i find them beautiful and
there something addictive about the growing of exotic plants :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!