FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Took a trip to Missouri to visit with my parents to help them out with various chores around the farm because my dad just had heart surgery, is recovering, and really can't do much right now. One of the chores I'm doing is repotting his flytrap collection, of course!

I sent him a few teeny tiny DC XL a few years ago and I don't think they've been repotted since 2018 :shock: :o

So I'm working through hundreds of flytraps, starting with the named varieties first. I'm so jealous of what he can grow here in Missouri compared to what we can do with flytraps in Oregon. Despite the fact that he basically neglects them and abuses them while I am diligent about taking care of mine, he is able to far outdo anything that I can grow!

Anyway, here's a couple of photos of some thick DC XL rhizomes he grew near Festus, Missouri in an 8x10 greenhouse in the winter and outdoors in full sun in the summer.
20210323_092107.jpg
20210323_092107.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2125 times
DC XLs.jpg
DC XLs.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 2125 times
StaatS+17+, ChefDean, Shadowtski and 7 others liked this
By Carnies
Me with regular old flowers: They are dead :(
Me with carnivorous plants: WHY AREN'T THEY DEAD YET
Matt wrote:Despite the fact that he basically neglects them and abuses them while I am diligent about taking care of mine, he is able to far outdo anything that I can grow!
Kinda reminds me of me. Except for the flytraps of course. Hope your dad is ok! I will be hoping for a full recovery.
Matt liked this
By MikeB
Flytraps just love that summertime heat and humidity!
Matt liked this
By Matt
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
MikeB wrote:Flytraps just love that summertime heat and humidity!
Absolutely! In southern Oregon, we have summertime heat in spades. But unfortunately, there's very little humidity and the nights are always cool to cold. The cool nights are great for Darlingtonia, Heliamphora, and Cephalotus but not so much for Dionaea and Sarracenia. The Missouri summer nights are WARM! I think that fact, plus the humidity, plus all the insects make it so that flytraps go crazy :D
MikeB liked this
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!