FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Zach Ledy
Hello everyone! I want to thank you all for your help with my carnivorous plants! (Special thanks to PAUL and Sanguinearocks. You guys are awesome!) My plants are starting to come out of dormancy and they have lots of new growth. We are moving to zone 10a this summer(atlantic side of the u.s.). Will the venus flytrap survive zone 10a? I also need some suggestions on what plants to get for a mini bog garden. I need all of the plants to survive zone 10a. Thanks again for all of your help!

-Zach
By sanguinearocks101
They will most likely be fine in some 10a. 10a will be warm enough so you can have subtropicals mixed with temperates, maybe tropical s but I am unsure if they would do well. Personally I would do a mix of plants native to the USA like Sarracenia, Drosera, Pinguicula and a few vfts.
By Zach Ledy
Nice to see you again sanguinearocks! Good to know that I can keep my VFTs. I do love nepenthes and other tropical pitchers, but for the mini bog garden I want to stick with native north american species. If they're native to Florida that's even better! I guess I should have stated that earlier. :roll:
By MikeB
Zone 10a is pretty warm for the local species. I know of a flytrap grower who lives in Sebring, and his plants do well. I don't know if he does anything special for dormancy, though. Drosera capillaris, Pinguicula caerulea, Pinguicula lutea, Pinguicula pumila, and Sarracenia minor are found in south-central Florida. You could also try some species from the panhandle like Drosera filiformis var. floridana (the all-red threadleaf sundew), Drosera tracyi, Sarracenia psittacina, and Sarracenia rosea.
Supercazzola liked this
By Zach Ledy
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will look into some of the plants listed and see what is available. I will update with a list of the plants I end up getting.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!