FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By DeadlyCarnivore
From what I know, you propigate a leaf from a typical that has had a weird genetic mutation, and if that leaf creates a new plant WITH that genetic mutation, you have mad a "cultivar"? But you have to get it registered in order for ot to actually be considered a cultivar. I'm not 100% sure, but I think thats the process of making a cultivar.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By DeadlyCarnivore
FlyTrapCare has an article on it, it explains it.

"Named Venus Flytraps - Cultivars"

By sanguinearocks101
DeadlyCarnivore wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:01 am From what I know, you propigate a leaf from a typical that has had a weird genetic mutation, and if that leaf creates a new plant WITH that genetic mutation, you have mad a "cultivar"? But you have to get it registered in order for ot to actually be considered a cultivar. I'm not 100% sure, but I think thats the process of making a cultivar.

It just has to be unique in some way, it doesn’t necessarily need a genetic mutation. Then you can make it an official ICPS cultivar or just name it unofficially.
By nimbulan
Cultivars are generally produced through breeding - grow lots of plants until you find something interesting and (hopefully) unique. This process can be controlled somewhat by specifically breeding plants with desirable traits together. With flytraps however, I understand there's a lot more chance involved due to how the genetics of this species works.

There's also other ways of intentionally inducing mutations by exposure to chemicals and radiation, though it's not exactly common practice.
MikeB, Matt liked this
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!