FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Berrybob
Has anyone had success doing refrigerator stratification? I have seen a few people say that they have never been successful with refrigerator stratification. If you have had success, about how long did you stratify the seeds for and what other things did you do?
By Panman
I've had great luck stratifying fresh seed in the fridge. Sarrs and drosera I have done for 4 and 6 weeks with similar success for both. Darlingtonia I did for 6 weeks with marginal success. I don't know if it is because of the seeds or the period. I currently have seeds from the same batch chilling for a longer period. Older seeds I am giving a longer period but my seeds were abused by the post office so that is likely my problem with them.

I am stratifying sarr, Cobra, and flytrap (yes, I know they don't need it) seeds on a paper towel soaked in distilled water. I put down the seeds, fold it in half, and roll it up before putting it into a plastic bag. Drosera seeds I am water stratifying by putting them in a centrifuge vial with distilled water and putting that in the fridge. After the appropriate time I take it out and put it under lights to germinate. Once they germinate, I plant them using a medicine dropper.
Berrybob, Matt liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!