FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Possum
I just received my first nepenthes today and it seems the growth point (I think that's what it's called) snapped off in transit! Will it be ok and still grow normally? I'm pretty sure it's not going to die but I'm just not sure what the long term affects will be concerning its health and growth.
Other than this, the plant seems to be doing well, it has six leaves, five with pitchers and one with a pitcher on the way. From what little I know, it seems perfectly healthy.
Last edited by Possum on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By eriction
The nepenthes will be alright, one of two things will happen most likely.
1. It will activate a dormant node and continue growing from the node. There are nodes under each leaf.
2. It will decide to grow a basal offshoot / baby plant from under the substrate.

Had the same thing happen to me and it continued growing from next node down. The plant is slightly lopsided but not a big deal.
By Darkroom Denizen
It should be fine. I had this happen to one of mine (though not quite as bad). It threw out 1 or 2 deformed leaves that didn't grow much, but after that it was business as usual. I would just make sure you keep that humidity up and avoid doing anything that could cause additional stress (repotting, moving it to new environments, etc.)
By eriction
eriction wrote:The nepenthes will be alright, one of two things will happen most likely.
1. It will activate a dormant node and continue growing from the node. There are nodes under each leaf.
2. It will decide to grow a basal offshoot / baby plant from under the substrate.

Had the same thing happen to me and it continued growing from next node down. The plant is slightly lopsided but not a big deal.
Found an older picture showing the new growth point next to the broken growth point. I think it took about a month before I saw the new growth point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Possum
eriction wrote:The nepenthes will be alright, one of two things will happen most likely.

Darkroom Denizen wrote:It should be fine. I had this happen to one of mine (though not quite as bad). It threw out 1 or 2 deformed leaves that didn't grow much, but after that it was business as usual. I would just make sure you keep that humidity up and avoid doing anything that could cause additional stress (repotting, moving it to new environments, etc.)
Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear it's not a huge issue, I'm just a little paranoid because it's my very first one so I appreciate the help. I've got it in an aquarium near my window with a mini humidifier, so humidity and a stable environment won't be a problem. It might suffer a bit since it was just unboxed today and potted up, but I won't be moving or adjusting anything now that it's all set up.
Darkroom Denizen liked this
By Apollyon
Oh no! I also had the luck of having my first (and its replacement) arrive with snapped growth points. As others have said, it'll be fine. Both of mine actually recovered and one was quite serious like that one. The first leaves (mine happened more than once until it worked past the damage) will have a "cut" appearance but it will recover.
By Possum
That really sucks, oh no! It seems that this is a reasonably common issue with shipped plants which is unfortunate. I'm glad there's a chance it can continue growing from that point, and that whatever happens it'll be ok. They're hardier than I give them credit for and I can't wait to see what mine decides to do, though I'm sure it'll be a long while before there's any results.

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!