FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By marmotamonax
I've been looking for some S. purpurea for a while now and I was hoping to run across one in my local lowes one of these days. I bought a dormant kit last spring, I think it turned out to be S. flava. Do the S. purpurea ever come in the dormant kits? I keep stopping in to check and they usually have VFT and Nepenthes in the cubes but not much else. do you think I could ask them to order me one?
By marmotamonax
I didn't see any s. purpurea on the site the last time I looked, it's been a few weeks though, and maybe I just missed it somehow. I'll check again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
It's a luck of the draw thing as to which Sarrs may be in the death cubes at Lowes. I've heard of purps on occasion, but I've got S. bugbat and a rubra cross the two times I've bought that kit.
Try going to the Bug Biting Plants website, you may be able to order one directly.
By optique
i see it sometimes at lowes in death cubes with the neps and vft's
By Shadowtski
marmotamonax wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:14 pm I've been looking for some S. purpurea for a while now and I was hoping to run across one in my local lowes one of these days. I bought a dormant kit last spring, I think it turned out to be S. flava. Do the S. purpurea ever come in the dormant kits? I keep stopping in to check and they usually have VFT and Nepenthes in the cubes but not much else. do you think I could ask them to order me one?
Depending on where we live, it will be Sarracenia repotting and dividing time soon.
If Flytrap Store doesn't have one in stock, go to Plan B.
Put out a post in the buy/sell/trade section that you're looking for a purp.
The odds are pretty good that someone will have a growing point they can part with.
Good growing,
Mike
Supercazzola liked this
By Nepenthes0260
I’ve got a couple death cube purps before from Lowe’s, and they’ve turned out to be super interesting clones. Super hairy, way hairier than my other purps. I can’t wait to see how they develop this year. Mike Wang has some awesome purps currently for sale.
Supercazzola liked this
By MikeB
Joel's Carnivorous Plants (out of Wilmington, NC) has Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa plants for $20 with free shipping on eBay.

Calen Hall also has some nice ones for sale:
  • S. purpurea ssp. venosa Tatnall County, GA - This absolutley gorgeous variety is finally back in stock from seed! I wish I could keep the whole tray of these. Ruffly lids and tons of red veins and bodies. So charismatic. Great chance to pick up genetically unique individuals. med - $25
  • S. purpurea "veinless" - crossed my two prettiest and ruffliest veinless clones together! I love love love this variant! Gorgeous chartreuse with stunning copper overtones on new growth. These have some purp purp mixed in so are likely well suited to colder climates. Every grower needs one of these! med $25
I bought both of these and am very happy with the plants that I received.

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!