FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Iheartplants
I have just started getting into carnivorous plants and seed starting these past few months. I know that using peat moss as a soil base is beneficial but I was wondering about using coco coir. It holds moisture similar to peat moss but is pH neutral. So my question is whether it makes a difference? Do carnivorous plants and their seeds like the acidity of peat moss or does it not matter either way? Thanks in advance for your help!
By Iheartplants
Thanks for your input! That's a good point. My coco coir has been rinsed prior to me receiving the compact block and I rinsed it again once it expanded. But, if carnivorous plants are super sensitive to the different elements such as those found in regular water, I wonder if whatever salt left would still cause damage. We will see. I planted some in the coco coir to see how it goes, then I'll try the rest in peat moss if this isn't successful.
By cryostasis
Iheartplants wrote:Thanks for your input! That's a good point. My coco coir has been rinsed prior to me receiving the compact block and I rinsed it again once it expanded. But, if carnivorous plants are super sensitive to the different elements such as those found in regular water, I wonder if whatever salt left would still cause damage. We will see. I planted some in the coco coir to see how it goes, then I'll try the rest in peat moss if this isn't successful.
Old post but might add for coco coir/peat. Some friends have been using coco peat for their plant for not sure how long.

For rinsing what I do is I get to buckets 1 bucket would have water the other will have the coco peat.I used tap water as its around 66 to 88 depending on the water. I get a handful of coco peat squeeze it then drop it on the bucket with water for my coco peat it takes around doing the same process 5x going back and forth. Then I drop the coco peat on distilled/rainwater to finally rinse it. If I used tds the tds is around 40-50 lowest I got was around 36.

If no tds I make sure that the water coming out of the squeeze coco peat is very clear.

Sent from my BISON using Tapatalk

Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!