FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
Is this normal for SD Kronos? This is just the last few minutes of what took more than 10 mins.

I can post the link for the longer 8 mins if folks want to see how many times the love bug must have triggered it.

Thanks
By eriction
Possibly just a weaker dormant trap? Or the VFT's energy is being utilized else where such as the other 2 digesting traps.
By ChefDean
Do we know what state the VFT is in? Is it in the process of going dormant/exiting dormancy? Is it fully dormant? Actively growing?
If the answer is anything but actively growing, then a slow close is not unexpected.
By Supercazzola
ChefDean, it was taken today, in FL sunshine, so I would guess they are coming out of dormancy, if not already out. I’d need to ask Apollyon since I got this from him.
Thanks
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 pm ChefDean, it was taken today, in FL sunshine, so I would guess they are coming out of dormancy, if not already out. I’d need to ask Apollyon since I got this from him.
Thanks
I didn't think of that, that it may be a recent acquisition. Did it come bare root and you had to pot it up? In that case it may be working it's way out of shock still as well.
By Supercazzola
No, I didn’t but Apollyon potted it up for me since we live within 5 miles of each other. Could still be what you suggested, though...
By ChefDean
Give it some time, it's probably a factor of a few things with exiting dormancy and a repot being the two biggies.
Just keep it moist and good AM sun, shade after about 11-ish, and it'll recover soon. Then you'll be like the rest of us, frustrated that you never see an open trap because it's catching so many bugs.
Supercazzola liked this
By Apollyon
Yeah, the plant is just beginning to exit dormancy right now. That isn't how the traps typically close. Usually they're VERY fast. Bare rooting it and dividing may have been a factor but also the acclimation and dormancy. The traps will pick up soon. Is it in unfiltered light or is it under a screen right now? Previously the plant did very well out in the unrestricted light. I notice trap speed is correlated to light intensity. I don't imagine it will take too much longer to acclimate though as your climate is pretty similar to my own :lol: and there was no damage to the plant. My plants are just beginning to grow again and I potted them exactly the same. The new traps will have a lot more vigor.
By WONE
From my novice experience, last year I discovered that if I fed the newest trap right on the day it opened, it would close very slowly. This led me to wait an extra few days on other feedings and often the trap would open up wider in the time period.

I believe that is why the trap is so sluggish, it was not done opening up/developing. After all it does look like the newest trap on your plant.
Supercazzola, Matt liked this
By Big-Jack
Yes. The trap has to get to the wide open stage in development to achieve maximum closure speed.
Supercazzola liked this

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!