FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Kyaw Thuta
Hi,
Can someone please give me advice on this? I have a drosera binata “T form” on my balcony. It has flowered for four times now and every time it flowers, the bud of the flower stalk is always taken or destroyed. When the flower stalk emerges from the rhizome I can see the flower bud but after but 4 days the bud is suddenly gone and only the flower stalk is left behind. I am guessing the birds are doing this. I just can’t stand it anymore. The only thing I want to do is get seed cuz this is the only drosera binata I have. And I really don’t want to lose it cuz it’s been in my care for about 1 year and I just want to make more plants. I have tried moving the pot to another place, and have even put up mini fences on my balcony but nothing seems to work. For now I have just propagated the flower stalk, cuz I can’t get the seed. Pls help
AJ
By Apollyon
Sorry to hear that. As far as seed goes, I'm not 100% if that plant can be selfed or not. Some can and some supposedly can't. You could build a cage to protect the plant. Stalks on mine generally go up to about 12 inches if that helps.

If you're looking to get some more plants though, cut off a leaf (healthy) and float them in water. I like to use test tubes or something that can catch light and seal to prevent evaporation. Couple weeks plantlets will emerge from the tentacle portions of the leaves. Once they have developed a second/third leaf on the plantlets, transplant them to some media and bag it for a bit. You can get tons of plants
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By MikeB
You can try putting realistic plastic snakes around your plants. That might be enough to scare away the birds.
By Kyaw Thuta
Apollyon wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 am Sorry to hear that. As far as seed goes, I'm not 100% if that plant can be selfed or not. Some can and some supposedly can't. You could build a cage to protect the plant. Stalks on mine generally go up to about 12 inches if that helps.

If you're looking to get some more plants though, cut off a leaf (healthy) and float them in water. I like to use test tubes or something that can catch light and seal to prevent evaporation. Couple weeks plantlets will emerge from the tentacle portions of the leaves. Once they have developed a second/third leaf on the plantlets, transplant them to some media and bag it for a bit. You can get tons of plants
Hey mike,
Thanks for the advice. I have floated the leave in a deli plastic container with about 2 inches of water if that’s ok?
By Kyaw Thuta
MikeB wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:21 pm You can try putting realistic plastic snakes around your plants. That might be enough to scare away the birds.
Thank you very much for the advice man, I’ll be sure to try it out
By hungrycarnivores
Don't you all have all these wild parrots... they're everywhere in Kolkata, IN, and parrots love to eat green things and they're smart... seems like a nuisance. Here we've got squirrels and crows :lol: . No shortage of plant destroyers anywhere.
By eriction
Could build a teepee / cage to surround the plant using sticks to deter them. Guaranteed way to stop this is a complete cage around your plants.

This is what I do with vegetable seedlings.
By Apollyon
Yeah that should be fine. You'll either need to keep refilling it or seal it up though because it'll evaporate pretty quick. You don't want to spike the PPM of the water by letting it go too far between refills if you used RO water though
By Lyra
If you have parrot coming for your plant, then it needs to either hard thick plastic or metal. Parrot can bite through plastic, I lost a couple of game consoles, wires and remote to a parrot, who will not be name.

Parrots are so sweet though, I wish I had parrots coming to destroy my plants, instead of squirrels.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!