FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Possum
So I recently bought a little nepenthes from carnivero (still in transit) and it's gonna be my first pitcher! I've got a cleaned out old aquarium set up for it with a temp/humidity gauge and I'm going to include a small humidifier since my room tends to hover around 20%. We have a reverse osmosis system for drinking water in our kitchen and that's how I intend to water/mist it, but does the humidifier need RO as well? Call me lazy, but I wanna know if the extra trips up and down the stairs will be worth it or if tap water would be safe since I'm still watering with the correct type.
(Not sure if it matters, but I'm getting a medium 3"-5" singalena x ventricosa hybrid)
By ChefDean
If your humidifier is what they call a cool mist humidifier, then you will want to use RO or distilled water. The cool mist humidifiers used ultrasound to vaporize the water, but it also would put the minerals into the air. If it is a warm humidifier, ones that heats and evaporates the water, any water will be fine. However, tap water will leave scale behind on a warm humidifier, so distilled water or RO would probably be best either way.
Possum, MikeB, Supercazzola liked this
By Shadowtski
If you don't use distilled or RO water in the humidifier then you will end up with a white powder coating on everything, eventually. The minerals in the humidifier water cause this plus minerals will build up in the humidifier and shorten its life also.
Just my 02¢ worth.
Mike
Possum, MikeB liked this
By Possum
ChefDean wrote:If your humidifier is what they call a cool mist humidifier, then you will want to use RO or distilled water. The cool mist humidifiers used ultrasound to vaporize the water, but it also would put the minerals into the air. If it is a warm humidifier, ones that heats and evaporates the water, any water will be fine. However, tap water will leave scale behind on a warm humidifier, so distilled water or RO would probably be best either way.
Thank you! I believe it is a cool mist, but I didn't even think of the scale left behind. Definitely gonna go with RO then, I appreciate the explanation!
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!