FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Natedawg
So, I have some mutt form of nepenthes from Lowes that I have had for a year in my window sill. It's growing well, but I have had a problem with ants at this particular window. This thing acts as an excellent trap, the little black ants have marched straight for it and filled the pitchers to literally half full. Should I suck out the contents to keep from killing the pitchers?
By Natedawg
Yes, I have been fighting the ants in that particular spot for years. Due to the garden against the wall of the house right there my poison control methods are limited. Just wondering if removing the extra food was an option before I loose what pitchers I have left.
By optique
I get a lot of ants also. I let nature takes it course you will see a lot of growth.
I up potted this plant this winter it is starting to vine a lot.
MikeB liked this
By ChefDean
Natedawg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:45 am Yes, I have been fighting the ants in that particular spot for years. Due to the garden against the wall of the house right there my poison control methods are limited. Just wondering if removing the extra food was an option before I loose what pitchers I have left.
If you can find it, try Ortho Home Defense. It has a wand that let's you get the spray right to the area you want, avoiding plants. You can spray it around the window, along the soil line, even indoors just let it dry before you let any pets near it.
It creates a barrier for insects, and I use it when we start seeing spiders in the house, usually right before it's time for my pest control guy to come back out. Any other bug isn't a problem, but my wife dislikes spiders.
By hungrycarnivores
We buy these things called Ant Baits, which you can also DIY- Diatomaceous earth, borax, and sugar. They take pieces of the block home to their colony, and feed it to others, and the borax is caustic, the diatomaceous earth grinds the exoskeletons up. Putting those near a nest will take it out within weeks. You can also buy toilet bowl cleaner or pool acid and pour it down the hole.
By Natedawg
I'll try some heavy duty stuff before I plant my garden this year and hope that it kills them off before its time to plant. They come back every year in that spot though because I stop spraying due to the garden as its up against the concrete foundation. Any spray will end up washed into the dirt. I've tried every ant bait under the sun, it stops them for about a week or so before they show up again. I was actually really liking the nepenthes in that window because when the ants do get in, they head straight for the plant and nowhere else! They are coming in unusually high numbers this spring and filled the pots, I'll send pics when I'm back home.
By Nepenthes0260
I wouldn’t remove them. It may kill the current pitcher, but helps the plant long term. Larger leaf jumps. Same thing with osmocote pellets in the pitchers.
MikeB liked this
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!