FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By sanguinearocks101
Anyone know if a Nepenthes Sanguinea can grow outside in zone 6b with full sun? I’m not worried about my ventrata because I think I have seen ventratas grown outside before and they’re pretty much indestructible so I’m not very worried. I would obviously acclimate them to the sunlight level.
By ChefDean
In my experience, most Neps will do OK outside regardless of zone as long as you follow a couple of things.
Bright, indirect light. I put mine in a spot the gets about 2 hours of direct morning light, then shade the rest of the day. Towards the end of summer the tend to show a little burn, but nothing that affects them long term.
Leave them outside as long as the temperature stays above 50F. Sanguinea might have an issue if temps get too hot, maybe above 85F, especially if the humidity gets low. You can try to increase the humidity in the immediate area by surrounding the plant with water, but not the pot sitting in a tray, but you know that.
You know what you're doing, you got this.
By optique
I place my Sanguinea outside where it gets morning sun and it does great even in high 90's
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Nepenthes0260 wrote:My old sanguinea orange loves outside here in zone 6b in the summer.
optique wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:21 pm I place my Sanguinea outside where it gets morning sun and it does great even in high 90's
Do they receive light like ChefDean described?
By optique
Mine got direct sunlight from sunrise till guessing 10:30am, then indirect light rest of day. With that treatment it never even tanned I am sure it could have handled more. Now inside its in a wall of south facing glass and has a dark tan. It grows a lot inside for the winter but only pitchers outside, this i like because it look amazing when all the winter growth pitchers at the same time.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!