FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By James C
I bought three flytraps from the garden centre, I cut off the dead bits and repotted them, after a summer outside (Sydney Australia) they are looking strong and healthy (at least to my untrained eye). When I bought them they all looked the same but as they have grown they have changed, one has bigger colourful traps and the other two have mainly tiny greener traps! Are they different types of plants or is one just happier? When I repotted them I think the middle one with the bigger traps wasn't planted quite as deep in the soil, could this make a difference? Thanks for any replies, It's not a big issue as the plants seem okay I'm just curious to know why they are different?

James.
Attachments:
Small Traps right plant.jpg
Small Traps right plant.jpg (364.27 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Small Traps left plant.jpg
Small Traps left plant.jpg (381.36 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Bigger Traps2.jpg
Bigger Traps2.jpg (341.86 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Bigger Traps.jpg
Bigger Traps.jpg (218.92 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
All of them.jpg
All of them.jpg (318.44 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
By ChefDean
Well, to start with, all Flytraps are the same species. You will find differences due to the varying genetics, just like in people. Some are blonde and tall, others brunette and short, and all ranges between.

With the smaller traps, dont quote me, but I've heard that if they get crowded they can produce smaller traps. I have a plant that had small traps when I bought it. It was a stressed deathcube and a little crowded, but I just slip potted it into another pot rather than try to split it up to not stress it any more than necessary. I'm actually going to repot it this weekend, separating any divisions that may be. We'll see if the plant puts out bigger traps over the summer here (Tennessee, US).
MikeB, James C liked this
By hungrycarnivores
ChefDean wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:43 pm Well, to start with, all Flytraps are the same species. You will find differences due to the varying genetics, just like in people. Some are blonde and tall, others brunette and short, and all ranges between.
With the smaller traps, dont quote me, but I've heard that if they get crowded they can produce smaller traps. I have a plant that had small traps when I bought it. It was a stressed deathcube and a little crowded, but I just slip potted it into another pot rather than try to split it up to not stress it any more than necessary. I'm actually going to repot it this weekend, separating any divisions that may be. We'll see if the plant puts out bigger traps over the summer here (Tennessee, US).
I will quote you chef :lol: . You are exactly right that small traps are with more crowded plants. Normally this is correlation, not causation, as IME the tissue-cultured plants that are freshly acclimated in their Death Cubes are still pumped with multiplication hormone. Meanwhile, the large plants don't divert as much energy to divisions and thus grow bigger.
James C liked this
By James C
Thanks for the replies guys, It sounds like the small traps are just as healthy as the bigs one then 👍🏻 Hopefully next summer they all go crazy.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!