FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
I find it very frustrating to not know where folks are located in. It creates unnecessary chatter back and forth, either in private messages or in the discussions themselves. If someone is asking for advice, but their Winter is actually different because they are in Australia, for example, that is pertinent.

What are your thoughts on making location info (even if down to the state / territory / province / prefecture ) mandatory for the forum profiles?

I am not suggesting they need to put a city down (but that is how Apollyon and I found out we lived like 5 miles apart), but having location info is very helpful. Not meaning to infringe on folks’ privacy in any way, but come on...
By Apollyon
Hemisphere or state would definitely help. I can understand the reservations about cities. It was pretty awesome how that worked out with us though. General locations would at least help us avoid pulling teeth (we've all spoken to one at one time or another) or inadvertently condemning a plant to death. Certain areas within the same territory can be vastly different. Knocks a pre-req question out right away. Would also help with transactions. I'll often get a message asking me for a total +shipping for X plants and I'll usually have to say "Depends where you're located." I'm personally about efficiency so I can relate to this post.
Supercazzola liked this
By DragonsEye
While I can understand where knowing a poster's location could be helpful, I don't see making it "mandatory" going over well with many people. Having it as "optional" is about the most a forum can/should do.
By Mawy_Plants
I know in the past there was a thread where members stated either their location and/or hardy zone. I find hardy zones a very helpful reference since they give you an idea of climate as a whole since I noticed cities sometimes have slightly different conditions/ micro climates depending on zip code. At least with hardy zone, there's still location privacy if that's a concern.

Happy Growing!
Mary
Supercazzola liked this
By ChefDean
I'm not for it being mandatory, because most people will push back if told that they must do it. With it being a suggestion, many people will do it because they were given a choice.
I'm neutral on putting it out to ask everyone if they would update their profile to show their location because all anyone has to do is make a seed bank request and I voluntarily give you my address. However, if anyone gets any funny ideas, I live in a military town, and all of my immediate neighbors are active military that keep an eye on our little street. If you happen to get past them, my house is protected by Colt, Ruger, Winchester, Browning, J.C. Higgins, Savage, and Huglu. (Those aren't the names of my dogs)
Just sayin'.
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!