FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Kyaw Thuta
Hi,
I stumbled across this video about propagating sarracenia Scarlett belle this morning. And he talks about it in Filipino language (which I cannot speak), but although I didn’t know what he was talking about, by looking at what he was doing, I guess he was cutting the plant in quarters and tucking them in sphagnum. Is this possible? Can we really do this or is this just a scam?
https://youtu.be/qnE4sezf_H0
AJ
By Supercazzola
He is doing rhizome division. It is not a scam but you should educate yourself on how to do it, because your plant may not have enough grow points. https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow ... aDivisions
And this is the same advice I and others have given you in your other post on the same topic.
By hungrycarnivores
Hi, hope you are doing well with all that is going on in Yangon. Like @supercazzola said, this is pretty risky. The best way to propagate those plants is when they divide and make two growth points. With one growth point, while there is some chance that all of the rhizomes may not strike and rot. Especially in Southeast Asia, you're gonna stay vigilant of root rot, whenever the temps go above 38C we get issues with root rot in California. Thus, cuttings are best taken during the cooler rainy season. Once you see two crowns, you can try to attempt it.
roarke liked this
By Kyaw Thuta
Supercazzola wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:28 pm He is doing rhizome division. It is not a scam but you should educate yourself on how to do it, because your plant may not have enough grow points. https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow ... aDivisions
And this is the same advice I and others have given you in your other post on the same topic.
Yea sir, I understand he is doing rhizome division, but he cut the whole entire rhizome in quarters and I wasn’t really familiar with that method, that’s why I reached out to ask sir.
By Kyaw Thuta
hungrycarnivores wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:43 pm Hi, hope you are doing well with all that is going on in Yangon. Like @supercazzola said, this is pretty risky. The best way to propagate those plants is when they divide and make two growth points. With one growth point, while there is some chance that all of the rhizomes may not strike and rot. Especially in Southeast Asia, you're gonna stay vigilant of root rot, whenever the temps go above 38C we get issues with root rot in California. Thus, cuttings are best taken during the cooler rainy season. Once you see two crowns, you can try to attempt it.
Thank you for your concern man. To be honest it isn’t really looking that good here in Yangon. We always have deaths every single day. Nevertheless thank you for your concern again. Yes, here where I live, it is hot all year round so if the temps get a little cooler and if the plant have more divisions, I might be able to try it out. But for now like you suggested, sitting and waiting for the plants to grow more growth points maybe the best decision for now. Thanks you so much for replying
AJ
Supercazzola liked this
By Kyaw Thuta
Kyaw Thuta wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:44 pm
Supercazzola wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:28 pm He is doing rhizome division. It is not a scam but you should educate yourself on how to do it, because your plant may not have enough grow points. https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow ... aDivisions
Yea sir, I understand he is doing rhizome division, but he cut the whole entire rhizome in quarters and I wasn’t really familiar with that method, that’s why I reached out to ask sir. Nevertheless thank you for your advice sir, I’ll be sure to try it out.
AJ
By Supercazzola
I can watch the video again, but when I looked at it, it seemed he cut it in a way where there was growth points at each of the 4 pieces. Maybe he slept it down the middle of a growth point, but I wouldn’t recommend that.

Stay safe.
By roarke
Kyaw Thuta wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:12 pm Hi,
I stumbled across this video about propagating sarracenia Scarlett belle this morning. And he talks about it in Filipino language (which I cannot speak), but although I didn’t know what he was talking about, by looking at what he was doing, I guess he was cutting the plant in quarters and tucking them in sphagnum. Is this possible? Can we really do this or is this just a scam?
https://youtu.be/qnE4sezf_H0
AJ
The ryzome must not be small, so it will survive as a new plant, after the division.
Kyaw Thuta liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!