FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Lain
I have just purchased my first cp this year and it turns out it has aphids and not doing too well. I have a pesticide on hand and was wondering if anyone knew if this one is safe or if I need to buy another. It's called EcoGarden organic pesticide.

Description details:
Made from Neemazal Technical (Purest Azadirachtin technical of highest concentration N40% in the world)
You cannot compare Neem oil concentration (some as high as 70%) with Azadirachtin concentration (1.2%). Neem oil is a by-product of Azadirachtin manufacturing.

Thank you!
By ChefDean
Most carnivorous plants are OK with pesticides, just use them as little as necessary. Maybe a light spray once a week to start, making sure you get the underside of the leaf too. If it doesn't seem to help, increase to twice a week.
If it looks like it's harming the plant, discontinue use.
Lain liked this
By Apollyon
Depending on what type of CP, don't be startled by its response. Drosera will get worked over by pesticides. I had to use a systemic to combat an aphid outbreak myself last year. Collection looked pretty ratty for a month.

VFTs and Neps won't show any real difference after being sprayed.
Supercazzola, Lain liked this
By Lain
It's a drosera. May I ask what you used to combat the aphids? Thanks!
By Apollyon
Lain wrote:It's a drosera. May I ask what you used to combat the aphids? Thanks!
Well I used this: https://www.amazon.com/BioAdvanced-7012 ... 617&sr=8-3

It was effective and it can safely be sprayed on the media for the roots to uptake the chemical. An insect bites into the plant and it will die. It'll get the job done but a lot of the leaves will stop producing dew and you'll need to wait for a new flush of growth.

If it's just the one plant, perhaps you can pick them off though I'd check and see if any surrounding plants have aphids. They're fans of weak/new growth and often show themselves when you prune something or repot a plant.
Supercazzola, Lain liked this
By Lain
I'll try to check the surrounding plants and try to brush them off before I go the pesticide route. Thanks for the link! I'll resort to it only if I have to.

Worst case scenario I'm okay with waiting for new growth. I would have originally gone with seeds but as much as I've lurked around here I never knew about the existence of the seed bank.

Thanks again!
By ChefDean
Lain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 amI would have originally gone with seeds but as much as I've lurked around here I never knew about the existence of the seed bank.

Thanks again!
Well, now that you know about the seed bank, why wait? You could request some spatulata seeds and get some capensis seeds as a bonus.
Just sayin'.
(Yes, I'm trying to foster and enable your budding addiction)
Lain liked this
By Panman
Yeah, ChefDean is the local seed pusher. He gets you hooked and then starts spouting off about self control. :lol:
Apollyon, Lain liked this
By Lain
ChefDean wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:49 pm Well, now that you know about the seed bank, why wait? You could request some spatulata seeds and get some capensis seeds as a bonus.
Just sayin'.
(Yes, I'm trying to foster and enable your budding addiction)
Haha. I just ordered some envelopes and stamps! Just waiting till it arrives! Haven't had to do a sase for over 25 years. This is gonna be fun! :lol:
By Lain
Panman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:21 pm Yeah, ChefDean is the local seed pusher. He gets you hooked and then starts spouting off about self control. :lol:
Hahaha, I can see that! I can't wait for him to start spouting off about self control to me. It'll mean I'm having some success! :D
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:21 pm Yeah, ChefDean is the local seed pusher. He gets you hooked and then starts spouting off about self control. :lol:
You mistake my pushing seeds with me being a more visible aspect of that little voice in your head, trying to help you make the right decisions. You're a grown up adult, responsible for your own actions.
(Says the guy who recently bought a N. miranda when he didn't have a dedicated space for it at the time)

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!