FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Fuggle
Hi guys,
Has anyone ever tried using carbonated mineral water on their VFT's? I know that it can be used sparingly (about once a week) on regular plants, with noticeably positive results. So, with this in mind, I was wondering if anybody has any success using carbonated water (of any variety) on carnivorous plants? :D

Many thanks guys and happy growing! :mrgreen:

Brian
By Supercazzola
Usually they are full of minerals. Would think it is a bad idea to use it. Just give them what they see in nature. Pure water. Rain, Reverse Osmosis, or if you’re lucky enough that your tap water has less that 50 ppm Total Dissolved Solids, do that.
My CPs don’t deserve San Pelligrino or Perrier :D
MikeB liked this
By hungrycarnivores
Fuggle wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:37 pm Hi guys,
Has anyone ever tried using carbonated mineral water on their VFT's? I know that it can be used sparingly (about once a week) on regular plants, with noticeably positive results. So, with this in mind, I was wondering if anybody has any success using carbonated water (of any variety) on carnivorous plants? :D

Brian
I have carbonated Tap Water/Distilled Water in order to make sparkling and poured into the pot. It seems to aerate the soil a bit and gets the acidity back up for substrates turning basic. That said, Supercazzola has the best idea about the Minerality.
Fuggle liked this
By eriction
hungrycarnivores wrote:
Fuggle wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:37 pm Hi guys,

Brian
I have carbonated Tap Water/Distilled Water in order to make sparkling and poured into the pot. It seems to aerate the soil a bit and gets the acidity back up for substrates turning basic. That said, Supercazzola has the best idea about the Minerality.
Just to add on to this comment - carbonated water does have lower PH but once the co2 gasses off the PH rises back to the original PH of the water.
The aeration part is an interesting observation - the act of watering with carboned distilled water doesn't add oxygen but the soil displacement from the co2 off gassing definitely would.
Fuggle liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!