FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By marmotamonax
After searching around in Lowes, Walmart, etc looking for sand that isnt play sand I finally found a bag of sand that I think will work well at a pool supply place. Cost me $12 for a 50 lb bag I like how course the grains are and from what I've read it looks like it is pure quartz.

ImageImage
By optique
I use the stuff from my local pool store works fine. "Carolina filter sand" on the bag but that sounds very local to me.
By hungrycarnivores
marmotamonax wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm After searching around in Lowes, Walmart, etc looking for sand that isnt play sand I finally found a bag of sand that I think will work well at a pool supply place. Cost me $12 for a 50 lb bag I like how course the grains are and from what I've read it looks like it is pure quartz.

ImageImage
"concrete rock mixture" even works for me, especially for Darlingtonia and Pings.
By eriction
Pool filter sand/ quartz is inert and used a lot in the aquarium hobby as well
By Apollyon
I use pool filter sand for almost all of my mixes. I got "Sakrete" brand at home depot for about the same price. So much cheaper when it isn't marketed as silica sand.
Supercazzola, tommyr liked this
By MikeB
I buy medium-grit filter sand from a local farm supply store, only $9.50 for a cubic foot (that weighs close to 100 pounds...).
By Bawesomer123
A good test to see if the sand is actually silica, is putting it in a bunch in vinegar. If the sand is made from calcium carbonate (alkaline and detrimental to most carnivorous plants), it'll start to bubble. You do want coarser-grained sand as well because if you use something like playsand, it forms into an almost clay-like substance when mixed with peat, and is impossible to re-wet after it gets dry. I've had good luck with Ace Hardware's pool filter sand. A benefit of pool filter sand is that it is pre-washed, so you don't have to worry about it souring your planting medium.
By f1appyb1rd
Bawesomer123 wrote:A benefit of pool filter sand is that it is pre-washed, so you don't have to worry about it souring your planting medium.
When I bought my first bag of pool filter sand, I washed some and checked with a TDS meter to confirm this. Always nice not having to wash a medium and saving time and effort. Peat is such a pain to wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By marmotamonax
mine is Aquaquarts ( high-purity filter sand) I don't know why the photos didn't work... maybe as an attachment???
sand.jpg
sand.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 5999 times
grain.jpg
grain.jpg (335.52 KiB) Viewed 5999 times
grain.jpg
grain.jpg (335.52 KiB) Viewed 5999 times
By Bawesomer123
Yep, at my location they only start stocking it in early Spring. I kept on checking in to see when it was available, and they were wondering why I was opening my pool so early in the season :lol:
elaineo liked this
Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!