FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Tfalk
Can i use wild living sphagnum moss to plant my flytraps or does it need to be processed? I used it when i was a kid and the plants seemed fine.
By Panman
Wild sphagnum is fine as long as you are sure that it is actually sphagnum and not some other kind of moss that can choke out the plants. You will also want to be sure to rinse it really well to get out any potential contaminants. There is the ecological argument that it shouldn't be wild harvested, but I will leave that up to others to decide.
Supercazzola, Matt liked this
By hungrycarnivores
Tfalk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:54 pm Can i use wild living sphagnum moss to plant my flytraps or does it need to be processed? I used it when i was a kid and the plants seemed fine.
Yes, you can. As panman said there are 3 conditions:
1. You own the property
2. You are aware that live sphagnum grows almost glacially in the States, and removing it from a bog in enough quantity could cause trouble.
3. You are aware that the sphagnum has pests in it which might damage your plants.

With these three, you can say yes, then you're all good.
By EricF
Hi Tfalk, wild taken live sphagnum is what I grow my CPs in. They thrive in it. I collect it and then thoroughly clean it for weeds, bugs/pests, and potential contamination. It grows relatively fast in my part of the world. If done right your plants will love it.

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!