FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Echo
I've always prepped my own mix, but this year due to pandemic + giant blizzard there was a massive run on distilled water in my city, and I don't have enough distilled or even rainwater on hand to rinse and prep all the peat I need for repotting. My VFT's are breaking out of dormancy--wish we could hit 'pause' for a couple weeks lol.

SO--are there any pre-made soil mixes you recommend? I'm wary of just buying whatever online, I'd hate to out and out kill my plants with a shoddy mix.
By hungrycarnivores
Echo wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:40 pm I've always prepped my own mix, but this year due to pandemic + giant blizzard there was a massive run on distilled water in my city, and I don't have enough distilled or even rainwater on hand to rinse and prep all the peat I need for repotting. My VFT's are breaking out of dormancy--wish we could hit 'pause' for a couple weeks lol.

SO--are there any pre-made soil mixes you recommend? I'm wary of just buying whatever online, I'd hate to out and out kill my plants with a shoddy mix.
I buy black-magic peat moss from Canada, and it is very low ppm. Pick it up at your local HD. I'm in california, so I don't have that blizzard trouble, but you can rinse it with normal tap water to hydrate it. Then, pot the plants up in a mix of that and perlite, or pure peat even, and then flush the pot once it dries with rain/distilled water. Or, dilute your water with rainwater, you can make more safe water that way.

Remember chem: C1V1=C2V2. So, to calculate your dilution, you have ((your ppm*volume of tap)/target concentration)) = final volume of h2o. Subtract volume of tap from final volume to get the amount of DI water to add.

Varies for vft, sarr, nep, cobra.
Echo liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!