FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By tracieh
I feel like I have had this pot for awhile. I don't know at what point to give up on it. Honestly I need the space under my lights. I have a humidity dome on it and keep it in water. Has anyone had luck with them?

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
Not a lot of info to go on, but if you're talking about Nep seeds, how long is "a while"?
I've had two different types of Nep seeds sown for about five or six months now.
One had a single sprout about two weeks ago that has since gone downhill, but had another sprout show itself recently.
The other hasn't had any sprouts yet, but the seeds haven't degraded either. In fact, a couple of them look like they might be getting ready to do something.
If you can spare them the space for a little longer, don't give up on them. If you really need the space under your lights, maybe move them to a windowsill rather than toss them.
By tracieh
These were the bonus ones from the seed bank although I think I requested them before they were a bonus. I honestly can't remember. I am going to say it's been 3 to 4 months

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
Oh, those. Toss them.
We posted early on that we thought they might be sterile due the the ventrata parentage, but many people said that they wanted to try at least. Nobody had any germination at all.
Clear up that real estate for something else.
By ChefDean
elaineo wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:00 pmhow can you tell when a seed is getting ready to do something?
With mine, I checked on them often. The seeds, just after sowing, were all a uniform light brown along the entire length of the husk. Where the seed itself was was just a shade darker.
As time went on, some seeds quickly deteriorated away to nothing, while others remained unchanged. After a couple of months, some of the remaining seeds deteriorated away, while the rest began to darken more where the seed was.
I've had two Smilesii seeds germinate, both got to a dark brown before sprouting, the rest of the seeds deteriorated. The first sprout went downhill, never producing a cotyledon. The second looks like it may do better.
My other Nep seeds, (viking x hookeriana) x Viking x ampullaria "Black Miracle" have done the same, but no germination yet. Some deteriorated over time, while others are still there, with the seed part now dark brown.
I don't know if that's how it goes all the time, but that's what I have observed.
elaineo liked this

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!