FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
Is this Mike’s place, based out of Houston?
If so, I have a phone call with him on Friday. Seems like a very helpful person. I always try to spread my orders around, because I think each trusted seller has their own strengths. Sometimes I buy from someone just because they seem like a great person. Other times, because I know they love the hobby. Sometimes because they are in the same State as me. If it is Mike Howlett’s place, i haven’t bought from him. But I soon plan to.
By ChefDean
A long time ago I did, but just some Albino Capes. He (Andrew, the owner) was having a sale on weeds, and I bought some. They came well packed and grew well. They produced a lot of seed that I gave away, and some people reported germination in about a week.
Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to ever have a really good selection, maybe he waits until Spring to list everything. I've talked with him (Andrew) personally a couple of times, and he's a good guy, just busy.
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote:Is this Mike’s place, based out of Houston?
If so, I have a phone call with him on Friday. Seems like a very helpful person. I always try to spread my orders around, because I think each trusted seller has their own strengths. Sometimes I buy from someone just because they seem like a great person. Other times, because I know they love the hobby. Sometimes because they are in the same State as me. If it is Mike Howlett’s place, i haven’t bought from him. But I soon plan to.
No, this is Andrew's place out of Arizona. Phoenix or Tucson I believe, I can't remember which.
By Carnies
ChefDean wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:55 pm A long time ago I did, but just some Albino Capes. He (Andrew, the owner) was having a sale on weeds, and I bought some. They came well packed and grew well. They produced a lot of seed that I gave away, and some people reported germination in about a week.
Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to ever have a really good selection, maybe he waits until Spring to list everything. I've talked with him (Andrew) personally a couple of times, and he's a good guy, just busy.
Yea, I'm thinking of getting some flytraps from him or sarracenia northwest.
By Matt
Andrew of FlytrapShop.com lives in Tucson. I haven't ordered anything from him since probably 2007 or 2008 but he did sell nice plants then. At the time he was just selling the AG3 flytraps - Dentate, Akai Ryu, Cupped Trap, and Typical. I think I ordered an Akai Ryu, Nepenthes sanguinea, and a red Capensis from Andrew. The plants I ordered arrived healthy. These flytrap clones are mass propagated by AG3 in Florida and they can be bought at many nurseries and they're pretty much all equivalent since they're just being resold from AG3 shortly after they're received. I see them often selling for cheap right out of the 72-cell plug trays on FaceBook and eBay (~$5 or $6 per plant). The Nepenthes sanguinea was also from AG3 at the time. I don't know about his other plants, like Sarrs or Pings, but I can say that the plants I got from Andrew were very healthy and well packaged.

I've also purchased from Mike Howlett (Petflytrap.com) in Houston a few times and have interacted with him a few times personally. Honestly, the plants from PetFlytrap used to be pretty poor quality. Searching the forums here and looking for posts back in the early 2010s through the mid to late 2010s will reveal quite a number of unhappy people coming here to post. Also, Googling will show other places where people expressed their displeasure both with Mike himself, his business practices, and his plants. But the few plants I ordered from him in 2020 were much healthier than anything I'd received from him before. He ships plants potted in small pots that are 2.5 inches deep and 3 inches across and, in my opinion, too small for flytraps. So I'd recommend having a pot ready if you order. I believe he now imports many of his flytraps from Best Carnivorous Plants (BCP) in Europe and sometimes resells them right off the plane bare root for cheap.

Sarracenia Northwest (historically cobraplant.com but now growcarnivorousplants.com) is run by Jeff Dallas and his partner Jacob Farin. I've interacted with them a few times over the years and regularly buy from them. Those two are great guys -- super friendly, honest, and kind. They run a great business with high integrity and great quality plants. I can't say enough good things about them.

If you're considering getting plants from only one of the 3 vendors above, I'd highly recommend Sarracenia Northwest way above either of the other two.
Supercazzola liked this
By Carnies
Matt wrote:Sarracenia Northwest (historically cobraplant.com but now growcarnivorousplants.com) is run by Jeff Dallas and his partner Jacob Farin. I've interacted with them a few times over the years and regularly buy from them. Those two are great guys -- super friendly, honest, and kind. They run a great business with high integrity and great quality plants. I can't say enough good things about them.

If you're considering getting plants from only one of the 3 vendors above, I'd highly recommend Sarracenia Northwest way above either of the other two.
Good to know, thanks, Matt! Sarracenia Northwest just got a puppy, he is so cute!
By Matt
Carnies wrote:Good to know, thanks, Matt! Sarracenia Northwest just got a puppy, he is so cute!
Yeah, I watched Jacob's March video and saw Luec, the luecophylla puppy, in the video. Super cute dog! I think Leah and I will have a nursery puppy someday too when we move to Missouri and have more space for it to play in :D
tommyr liked this
By Carnies
Matt wrote:Yeah, I watched Jacob's March video and saw Luec, the luecophylla puppy, in the video. Super cute dog! I think Leah and I will have a nursery puppy someday too when we move to Missouri and have more space for it to play in
YES - I have a 13-year-old husky and she acts like a pup. But puppies are so much cuter.
By Shadowtski
Before I starting hanging out here at Flytrap Care Forum, I was a member of TerraForums.
I bought one or two plants from Andrew at Flytrap Shop.
I bought a VFT 'Akai Ryu' which I still have.
His price was reasonable and I received a healthy, well packed plant.
Nowadays, I'd always check with Matt at FlytrapStore.com first to see if he has what I'm looking for.
Always support the guy who pays the bills for your forum.
Mike
Panman, Matt, Carnies and 1 others liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!