FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By aooborromeo
I am watering it by putting in a dish of water and little it absorb from the bottom. It’s on a window sill with direct sunlight going in and I got it in February. I’m reading a lot about dormancy and I’m not sure if this trap got that, how will I know when that should get started or when I should help it get started and if so should I do it now in March? And does it look okay? I’m not sure I’m doing this right. This is my first time with carnivorous plants. And can I feed it in the summertime small dried insects that I rehydrate
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 1732 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1732 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 1732 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 1732 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 1732 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1732 times
By Panman
It looks okay for just getting it a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to assume that you are in the northern hemisphere so at this point you don't need to worry about dormancy. A few things that will help. First, with that shallow of a pot, you do not want it to sit in a saucer of water. Sitting it in water will likely lead to root rot. You are better off to water it as the top starts to feel a little drier. Second, it looks like the plant is a little too deep in the soil. New growth shouldn't have to push its way through the soil. You want it planted so that just the white part of the rhizome (bulb) is below the soil. Finally, a sunny window will not be enough light long term for a flytrap. It likes at least 4-6 hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight a day. Finally, remember that there are three things you must have to grow a flytrap:
1. Soil - sphagnum moss or a 50/50 mix of peat/perlite
2. Water - Distilled, RO, or rain water.
3. Light - 4-6 hours of direct sunlight or equivalent. If using indoor lighting you would be upwards of 12 hours of light per day.

The good news is that you are starting early and asking questions. I see no reason that you won't be successful growing a flytrap.
Benny liked this
By Benny
Panman said it all.

I would just like to add that flytraps are outdoor plants, so when Spring rolls by, be sure to get it out there with plenty of sun.
By aooborromeo
@Panman The research I said was water from the bottom by sitting it in a dish. So I guess maybe with this pot I should water from top. I use distilled water. Can you show me an example of a perfectly potted venus fly trap? I'm worried I might do it wrong. I'm working on getting the right soil, but it's hard to find something in Walmart since I don't have someone to drive me farther to Lowe's or Home Depot. I pot a temporary soil to keep it in. It's an organic soil that's very light and doesn't have any extra chemicals or fertilizers. Until I get the right soil, which will be a bit, since it's not a top priority for my parents who have to give me a ride. I'll try my best to repot it right.
By Panman
Check out the instructions above at FlytrapCare.com. It will tell you everything you need to know. I don't think you are going to be able to get away with any soil, organic or not. Even regular garden soil has too many nutrients and will cause the plant to burn. You might want to look at FlytrapStore.com and order some Venus Flytrap Soil from them. The plants aren't hard, but you must obey the soil, water, and light requirements. Anything else will ultimately kill them.
Matt liked this
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!