FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By hungrycarnivores
Well hold up. *Technically* N. Jamban is tropical, IE there are no strictly demarcated seasons, mainly just rainy or dry, generally humid and warm.
That said, N. Jamban, for me, was an awesome species in Intermediate (76 days 69 nights), all you need is a drop of temperature. I put a hot lamp next to the terrarium and it switches off and cools over night. My Jamban is now with Nep0260 after getting a little long for my taste.
Supercazzola liked this
By hungrycarnivores
Also, Just following up: If you like those toilet, tubby pitchers here are some species for you to look out for:

N. Vogellii (likes intermediate)
N. Tenuis (Have seen it grow lowland)
N. Tenuis x Dubia (I grow this lowland with pitcher jumps)
N. Jacquilineae x (Ventricosa x Sibuyanensis), nice toothy pitchers, my fav toilet hybrid
N. Flava x Ventricosa (ugly hybrid)
and the best one - Eymae x Platychila.

All will take 5-8 degree temperature drop and love it.
By Nepenthes0260
N. jamban likes cool temps and high humidity. It comes from Sumatra (which is generally a warm place), but up in the mountains, where it stays cool. It appreciates the same conditions ex-situ. Other Sumatran neps from below the mountains in warmer conditions will grow much better if hot.

Like hungrycarnivores said, there are a lot of other species with toilet-bowl shaped uppers that are less picky. I grow N. pitopangii "ivory colored form", which has cute, red lowers and white, toilet-bowl shaped uppers. It seems to be more vigorous and less picky than jamban. There are also jamban natural hybrids with other small Sumatran species (dubia, inermis, etc.) that are much more vigorous and less spendy. Native Exotics has a super nice specimen of jamban x dubia up for auction right now- https://nativeexoticsonline.com/product ... s-wistuba/
By hungrycarnivores
It is worth noting that Dubia is considered by some growers as UHL. Same as inermis. I don't believe this, but they need a night drop absolutely.

Also @nep0260 that Dubia 2000m from NE is thought to be naturally hybridized with Jamban for some reason... Some even suspect it's a backcross. Just learned of this trying to get another one from the same batch albeit much smaller than the one I had ;) .
Supercazzola liked this
By Nepenthes0260
hungrycarnivores wrote:It is worth noting that Dubia is considered by some growers as UHL. Same as inermis. I don't believe this, but they need a night drop absolutely.

Also @nep0260 that Dubia 2000m from NE is thought to be naturally hybridized with Jamban for some reason... Some even suspect it's a backcross. Just learned of this trying to get another one from the same batch albeit much smaller than the one I had ;) .
Good to know. I have no problem with that since it's a natural hybrid (would be a different story if it was created ex-situ).
Supercazzola liked this
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!