FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By mikepellerin
I needed some potting soil, so I went to Lowe's today. Hidden amongst the small succulents and braided bamboo on a shelf I found two flats of VFT's! These are the typical VFT's sold at Lowe's, and grown and supplied by Gublers(dot)com.

As I was looking through the flats some folks asked about them. I couldn't not relay some ease of growing, and pointed some potential buyers to online resources.

I think had this store also had Sarracenia and Drosera in addition to Dionaea, I would have held court! I'm such a CP nerd!

I'm going back in a few days when I get paid, and picking up more.

"One can never have too many VFT's!" :D
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Supercazzola
Just curious, what were they selling for?
Part of me wants to rescue plants like that, but the other part of me feels buying them would enable the continued growing and selling of them in less than optimal conditions. If the price is right and you help get them out of the big box store, than I guess it is worth it short term.
elaineo liked this
By tracieh
I have only seen the Bug Biting death cubes. They sell for about $5 here. I got 7 "dead" ones for $1 each. 4 of them are still trying to survive.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

By MikeB
I bought 3 Red Dragon flytraps at a local Lowe's about a month ago. Fortunately, the shipment was relatively fresh, and the plants are recovering just fine.
elaineo wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:10 pmwoah... home depot sells the cubes for $28...
Someone at Home Depot needs to stay away from the spray paint.
By tommyr
I never, ever see flytraps at my local Home Depot. Or any other CP for that matter. Just as well, all their plants are indoors and barely get any light at all.
By mikepellerin
:Update: 03/13/21

Was at Lowe's again. This time I found not only VFT's, but a Sarracenia purpurea spp., and a Nepenthes spp. They were $7.48 each and all by the same company that I mentioned in previous post. I had no qualms about adding them to my addiction, I mean, collection. :D
MikeB, ApgarTraps liked this
By omnipercp15
Supercazzola wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:30 am Just curious, what were they selling for?
Part of me wants to rescue plants like that, but the other part of me feels buying them would enable the continued growing and selling of them in less than optimal conditions. If the price is right and you help get them out of the big box store, than I guess it is worth it short term.
You should think of it as, your not buying them, won't make them stop getting them to sell, so might as well get them when you can.

Sure, they're not always in good condition , but if you find some that are, and they have several plants inside as well, then for $5, it's a really nice bonus for stopping by there.
By ApgarTraps
mikepellerin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:45 pm :Update: 03/13/21

Was at Lowe's again. This time I found not only VFT's, but a Sarracenia purpurea spp., and a Nepenthes spp. They were $7.48 each and all by the same company that I mentioned in previous post. I had no qualms about adding them to my addiction, I mean, collection. :D
This has been my experience at Home Depot: both the variety and price. It's hit-or-miss, and you have to look for them on some random table in the garden section.
Panman liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!