FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By JG 5555
Hi everyone, this is my first year growing Venus flytraps :) Up until recently my plant has been doing good, but a spell of warm weather caused the plant to shoot up its spring growth. Now all the spring growth has died due to heavy frost :( I wanted to have a look at the root system to see if its still alive under the ground but have heard that this could cause bacterial infections. Do any of you have experience in this matter, if so what should I do? Thank you :D
By Matt
Sorry to hear about your Venus flytrap's recent setback. I wouldn't bother uprooting it if it was healthy before the frost. Just leave it be and it will recover once the weather gets warm enough to start growing, which should be very soon!
By VFTNoob
JG 5555 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 am Hi everyone, this is my first year growing Venus flytraps :) Up until recently my plant has been doing good, but a spell of warm weather caused the plant to shoot up its spring growth. Now all the spring growth has died due to heavy frost :( I wanted to have a look at the root system to see if its still alive under the ground but have heard that this could cause bacterial infections. Do any of you have experience in this matter, if so what should I do? Thank you :D
I am dealing with the same thing. Temps were warming up and some of my plants were throwing up their vigorous spring growth and flowering. Then outa nowhere 12 degrees and freezing rain. Its been about a week and a half. They are still angry somewhat, but all of them are alive. Some have aborted flowers and are sacrificing older traps that were in the middle of developing for smaller newer ones. I predict as soon as they fully recover, they'll continue where they left off.

Happy to report 0 losses. They were frozen solid for about 3 days. And now the high for tomorrow is 81. I'm sure they are confused as all hell. Hope all of yours make it as well!
Matt, JG 5555 liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!