FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rebeccanotrachel
Hello!

Last year on a whim I bought a nepenthes at a botanical garden and honestly thought it would be dead in a few months max as I knew nothing about them. I didn't bother to learn much either, just watered it a lot, and now it's I over 4' at the longest vine. I honestly I have no idea what to do with it now.

It has one basal growth with five leaves - two with small pitchers and one pitcher developing - that I want to propagate. I did research how to do that by pinching it off and setting in soaked sphagnum moss.

But what do I do with the vines? How far back should I cut them? The older ones have woody bases. Should those be discarded entirely? Or can the still green parts of the vines be propagated too? It's still in the original pot, too, and it's top-heavy to one side so much it needs rigging to not fall over. Should I repot the main plant? I've only found vague info about dealing with vines and example plants never look like my spindly monster.

I appreciate any help because I have no idea where to start and don't want to lose the plant.
Attachments:
20210226_223209.jpg
20210226_223209.jpg (4.07 MiB) Viewed 2483 times
IMG_20210226_221409_089.jpg
IMG_20210226_221409_089.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 2483 times
By Supercazzola
My understanding is you want to make cuttings with at least 2, preferably 3 growth buds. There are some really good guides on YouTube and if you search this site. I used the https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow ... emCuttings before I knew about flytrapcare .
Good luck! Keep us posted.
Rebeccanotrachel liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Firstly, that's a super healthy plant! Personally I wouldn't prune it at all and would just let it grow into a monster nep bush :lol:

Basal cuttings are really easy. Snip off the stem of the basal as close as you can get to the main vine and then root it in sphag and high humidity. Also, don't blast it with too much light while it's rooting. Ventrata roots quite quickly- in as little as a month.

Vine cuttings (especially if they're not the top) are a bit trickier though. Here's a great guide by PP on how to do them:

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!