FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Sundeewz
I was planning on trading some pygmy gemmae later this year via first class, but considering the speed of the post office I'm considering not. Does anyone know how long it's taking to send stuff first class around the USA right now?
By murrkywaters
It depends on how far you're sending it. I live in the west, and getting stuff from near by is no issue, but things coming across texas or any other hurricane afflicted state takes an extra couple of days.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By optique
coast to coast i have been getting 3 - 15 days but on adv i would say 5 days

the 15 day was mid heat wave the poor Ping. G. made it with no issues
ImageImage
By murrkywaters
If you're not sure they'll make it, you could always send me a few to see how they do!

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By twitcher
Just shipped some plants out today. Guy at PO said its mostly high volume areas (read: large cities/large PO's) that are having issues, but that it is unpredictable. But not too bad at the moment. I would worry about last couple of weeks of October, considering the mail in ballots in some areas.
By ChefDean
It's pretty unpredictable right now. With the USPS crying to Congress that they need 25 billion taxpayer dollars to stay in operation, there are some slowdowns to try to emphasize how much they feel they need the money.
However, in my experience, direction of travel impacts shipping time as well. East to West seems to go faster, as does North to South.
I've recently sent packages to California from Tennessee, both estimated five days in transit. One took four days, and the other went from Tennessee to San Francisco in two days!
On the other side of that coin, I've been sent packages from CA and WA this year that took longer. The CA took six days, the WA took nine because it showed departing and arriving Seattle half a dozen times in four days. Finally, after I called them to find out WTH, it left Seattle the next day.
Then again, a SASE going to GA, sent in July, was just returned to me as undeliverable. Undeliverable because it got damaged in their system, ripped in half, the part with the stamp lost (of course) and the address obliterated.
Unpredictable. Send your package, make sure you click yes when you're asked if it's perishable, and don't hesitate to file a claim if it takes too long and the gemmae die in transit.
By Adriana
I have to differ with my dear Chef, here I don't pin this on workers but rather the inexperienced, credibly accused of financial crimes head honcho who has tossed a wrench in the works. That said, I have been doing a lot of plant trades and had no issues KNOCK WOOD. Everything taking ~2-3 days cross country as usual.
ChefDean liked this
By Sundeewz
Thanks for the input guys, the ballots were something that somehow slipped my mind. I'll have to hope that the gemmae are produced before or after the ballots are coming in, or else I'll just have a lot more duplicate pygmies.
Apollyon liked this
By evenwind
For what it's worth, I just sent out 4 small boxes Priority Mail. NY to PA, TN, GA and FL each took the advertised 3 days.
ChefDean liked this
By Supercazzola
I’ve had 3 packages from CA to FL - all were/are over a week late. The one padded envelope I sent from FL to CA has been 8 days and it is still not there. This was after the freeze event in TX. USPS is beginning to irritate me. What happened to “neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor hail...”?
Apollyon liked this
By MikeB
Unfortunately, that motto doesn't say "nor defunding by the Federal government."

I just received a small package shipped via USPS Priority Mail from Oregon to North Carolina. Their "Fast delivery time: 1-3 Business Days" turned into 7 days. If the Post Office can't honor these shipping times, then they need to stop advertising them.
By Nepenthes0260
USPS has been extremely slow in the last week for me as well. One from FL and one from TX are just starting to move (its been 5 days since they were mailed) and a couple from CA that were shipped Monday are just leaving cali. I'm in WA. I've got salvageable plants from spending three weeks in the hot summer mail so am not worried about the plants, I'm just not a fan of waiting long :lol:
By Supercazzola
MikeB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:37 am If the Post Office can't honor these shipping times, then they need to stop advertising them.
Yes, agree 100%. Same for the Amazon Prime never getting here in 2 days any longer.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!