FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By 0Pool0
Hello, I am a new carnivorous plant grower with three little plants at the moment. I have started thinking about their and my future as I am going to move into my own place in a couple months which has led me to the discovery of plant grow lights. I wanted to see what everyone's take was about grow lights, and what grow lights are better for carnivorous plants or better in general. Thank you guys in advance :D
By Matt
This article is very detailed, perhaps almost too much for the layperson, but it definitely has all of the information you'll need to know about modern LED technology when choosing a good grow light:
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... ntlighting
0Pool0 liked this
By Supercazzola
My personal opinion, buy the best lights you can afford. If you can’t afford good ones, wait until you can. For example, take a look at Mars Hydro’s TS-1000 specs. (I personally used it until I went with the bigger TS-2000 model). Understand what they do spectrum-wise, and what they cost. Please don’t expect some $40-50 Alibaba or eBay special to perform the same. If it sounds like too good of a deal, it usually is.
One side effect of LED light fixtures is heat, so be aware if you decide to keep in an enclosed environment like a grow tent.
Matt liked this
By hungrycarnivores
Supercazzola wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:27 pm My personal opinion, buy the best lights you can afford. If you can’t afford good ones, wait until you can. For example, take a look at Mars Hydro’s TS-1000 specs. (I personally used it until I went with the bigger TS-2000 model). Understand what they do spectrum-wise, and what they cost. Please don’t expect some $40-50 Alibaba or eBay special to perform the same. If it sounds like too good of a deal, it usually is.
One side effect of LED light fixtures is heat, so be aware if you decide to keep in an enclosed environment like a grow tent.
There are good cylindrical LEDS for under-counter lighting at HD. With some ingenuity and a nice plywood, you can easily make a 10k-20k lux setup for half of the price of a TS1000. That said, consult an electrician and know your home circuitry before attempting anything with electricity.
By Supercazzola
hungrycarnivores wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:59 pm There are good cylindrical LEDS for under-counter lighting at HD. With some ingenuity and a nice plywood, you can easily make a 10k-20k lux setup for half of the price of a TS1000. That said, consult an electrician and know your home circuitry before attempting anything with electricity.
I’m not an expert, but who cares about lux if the LED is emitting the wrong spectrum? I am not suggesting you’re wrong to make one from the under counter lighting, but I am not sure it would be having the same wavelengths and concentration / spectrum like ones designed for growing plants.

I really read a nice article here:
https://news.californialightworks.com/ ... ow-lights/
that helped me understand what plants need. This is why I spent the money on nice grow lights.

Again, without studying the LEDs that are used in the Home Depot solution, I am not suggesting you’re wrong. I would assume they are designed to throw light out that looks pleasant to the human eye, since they are designed to light up counter surfaces or other things in the house... Some folks want a turn key solution. The article should be a good read regardless of whether you build your own lights or buy ready-made solutions. If you buy something, know what you’re getting.
By hungrycarnivores
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 pm
hungrycarnivores wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:59 pm There are good cylindrical LEDS for under-counter lighting at HD. With some ingenuity and a nice plywood, you can easily make a 10k-20k lux setup for half of the price of a TS1000. That said, consult an electrician and know your home circuitry before attempting anything with electricity.
I’m not an expert, but who cares about lux if the LED is emitting the wrong spectrum? I am not suggesting you’re wrong to make one from the under counter lighting, but I am not sure it would be having the same wavelengths and concentration / spectrum like ones designed for growing plants.

I really read a nice article here:
https://news.californialightworks.com/ ... ow-lights/
that helped me understand what plants need. This is why I spent the money on nice grow lights.

Again, without studying the LEDs that are used in the Home Depot solution, I am not suggesting you’re wrong. I would assume they are designed to throw light out that looks pleasant to the human eye, since they are designed to light up counter surfaces or other things in the house... Some folks want a turn key solution. The article should be a good read regardless of whether you build your own lights or buy ready-made solutions. If you buy something, know what you’re getting.
TBH it doesn't really matter given a high-CRI light that is close to the sun's kelvin temperature. It's more for that 'warm look' that expensive Fluorescent tubes put out that is not supplying too many photons for plants. I have found that cheaper, standard fluorescent tubes with no fancy spectra work best, hence the cheap lamps.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!