FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Caleb
This is my second go around repotting these guys because of this. I've got peat moss and perlite with peat moss top dressing. Seems like I'm making some moss really happy and I dont know if it can live with my plants. The mold I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there, but I'm not sure if it's mold or not. I think it started happening when I took them out of the cold window sill and put them under an led grow light. I wanted them to come out of dormancy. Does anyone know if I should be preventing this?

Thanks!
Attachments:
20210218_173250.jpg
20210218_173250.jpg (3.62 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
20210218_173411.jpg
20210218_173411.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
20210218_173406.jpg
20210218_173406.jpg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
By Matt
The flytraps look happy, so that's good!

I don't see the "moss" you're referring to in the photos, so I'm guessing you're seeing algae and mold? The greenish hue of color on the surface of the peat moss is an algae bloom. I do see some whitish looking stuff in the 2nd and 3rd photos that also looks like it could be the start of mold.

Neither is anything to be concerned about in the immediate future. If the algae gets too significant, you might need to repot again. But in most cases, both algae and mold are a sign that growing conditions are not ideal.

Lack of air movement and full natural sunlight typically leads to this sort of undesirable growth you're seeing on the surface of your soil. What are your current growing conditions? If you're growing indoors, you'll want to change your setup to get the plants outside if at all possible. I know most of the US is freezing right now, but that will pass soon enough.
By Apollyon
Agreed. Honestly, even with airflow, problems can still occur. If you have the means to grow them outside they will be better for it. You don't contend with algae or a lot of moss when you're growing outside. Save the LED for Sundews and Cephalotus
Matt liked this
By tommyr
Whenever I re-pot I always hit mine with a little sulfur based fungicide. Mixed about half strength. Because mine spend winter in the fridge they always have a little gray mold. The fungicide kills it immediately. Never had any issues.
By Caleb
Thanks for all the help guys. Yes, I was growing these guys outdoors, but took them in late November when it hit 34 degrees at night. I now have them on my counter with an awful purple led grow light. I wish I could put them outside, but it is too freezing like was suggested. Thanks Matt for pointing out that it is algae bloom instead of moss, I'm no botanist and I just like my flytraps. Once this snow goes away and I'm able to get some nice vinyl to close in my porch they should be much happier. Thanks for the fungicide suggestion tommyr, I'll try that.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!