FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello y'all!
I've recently placed my tropical pitcher plants back outdoors due to the warming of the seasons, and many of them have started to fill with carpenter ants already. But during the time inside, my truncata produced its largest pitcher yet! Needless to say, I'm a pretty proud plant parent right now!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
By camsdad66
Very nice! Always wanted to try a Truncata. Maybe one day. May i ask where you live?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By That one plant boi
camsdad66 wrote:Very nice! Always wanted to try a Truncata. Maybe one day. May i ask where you live?

Central Florida.
You should definitely go for it! It's an awesome species that tolerates a wide range of conditions.

By camsdad66
I might have to do that. I'm in Louisiana, similar to your conditions, hot and muggy most of the year. The size the pitchers can get to is amazing! Best of luck with yours and keep us posted!

By Supercazzola
Curious, do you leave them outside? If so, can you describe the environment (for example, under a porch in a screened in pool)? I am in Brevard County and am trying to figure where to keep my Neps as we get away from any danger of a cold snap.
Your photo looks like you have them under some Live Oaks.
And cool mods on that pot. Where did you get the hangers?
By That one plant boi
Supercazzola wrote:Curious, do you leave them outside? If so, can you describe the environment (for example, under a porch in a screened in pool)? I am in Brevard County and am trying to figure where to keep my Neps as we get away from any danger of a cold snap.
Your photo looks like you have them under some Live Oaks.
And cool mods on that pot. Where did you get the hangers?
I kept them indoors during the winter, but yes, they're all outside now and will be until fall. You're correct! I do have them growing under an oak tree from which they are protected from direct afternoon sun, but still receive some direct sun during other parts of the day. Humidity in the area is usually 60% or higher. No screened in pool or porch, just straight up outdoors. The hangers came from previous plants that I had hanging under the same tree, but I'm not sure where they came from as they were already with the plants when I got them.

Thanks for the comment on the pots! It was a pretty hectic situation though because by the time I realized the pot needed more drainage, the plant had already been in there for several months, so I had to carefully drill the holes without causing the plant damage, lol. I know better for next time now.

By f1appyb1rd
Wow! That’s a beautiful plant! I would be such a nervous wreck if I kept my nepenthes outdoors haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By That one plant boi
f1appyb1rd wrote:Wow! That’s a beautiful plant! I would be such a nervous wreck if I kept my nepenthes outdoors haha.

Lol
I find that they do exceptionally well outside and don't often get disturbed by critters.

By Panman
f1appyb1rd wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:43 pm Wow! That’s a beautiful plant! I would be such a nervous wreck if I kept my nepenthes outdoors haha.
I put my neps outside during the summer. Of course, I have also freeze dried, baked, and drowned them in the process so perhaps I'm not a good example.
By f1appyb1rd
I recently saw a video on Facebook where someone living in a tropical region had a Nepenthes Rafflesiana planted right in the ground in their garden outside. Being from the east coast, I can’t even imagine living somewhere tropical like that where you could just have neps growing like weeds in your garden outside.

By That one plant boi
f1appyb1rd wrote:I recently saw a video on Facebook where someone living in a tropical region had a Nepenthes Rafflesiana planted right in the ground in their garden outside. Being from the east coast, I can’t even imagine living somewhere tropical like that where you could just have neps growing like weeds in your garden outside.

One can only dream
Lol

By camsdad66
I had some luck growing my N. Rafflesiana outdoors this summer under my carport. It did very well, was hard to have to bring it in when the weather got too cold. Hoping it will pick up where it left off when I put it out next season.
ImageImageImageImage

By That one plant boi
camsdad66 wrote:I had some luck growing my N. Rafflesiana outdoors this summer under my carport. It did very well, was hard to have to bring it in when the weather got too cold. Hoping it will pick up where it left off when I put it out next season. ImageImageImageImage

Very nice plant!

By camsdad66
Thank you!

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!