FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bobioden
I just got these 2 off Marketplace here in Denver, local pick-up. Had to repot as they were plugs. The guy said he raised them from tissue culture. He had 12 or so this size and maybe ten smaller ones. I think they look pretty healthy.
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg (880.08 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg (758.02 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg (784 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Attachments:
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg (880.08 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Supercazzola liked this
By Apollyon
They look good. Might need to keep the humidity up for a time. I don't know their original growing conditions but if they were TC I imagine he kept them in high humidity for a large part (if not all) of its life. You may want to consider that, especially considering that you just repotted them. I've grown to like LFS with cephalotus but I don't water it every day; I end up doing it when the pot feels light. They say cephalotus can be prone to instant death from overwatering but I've never personally had an issue. If you tray water keep the level very low and if you water from the top then just do it when the top layer dries out and it should be fine.

Congrats on the new plant. Cephs are probably my favorite CP
By Bobioden
Thanks Apollyon for the reply. Should I put a plastic bag around the pot to raise the humidity? It will be put outside once it warms up a bit here. My backyard is east facing so it will get morning sun, as partial shade the rest of the day. Does that should OK for them. I am also thing of getting some lights for inside.
By Apollyon
Bobioden wrote:Thanks Apollyon for the reply. Should I put a plastic bag around the pot to raise the humidity? It will be put outside once it warms up a bit here. My backyard is east facing so it will get morning sun, as partial shade the rest of the day. Does that should OK for them. I am also thing of getting some lights for inside.
I would bag it yeah, at least for a while. I wouldn't want to take the risk. Lights would be good as well. Cephalotus does well in some climates but I couldn't grow mine outside, at least long term. They need temp drops if it gets too warm but can apparently survive freezes. I think a lot of growers just keep them indoors under lights, myself included. Mine don't see huge variations in temperatures. I keep them around 75ish in the day and around 69 at night. Some claim they've had theirs out in up to 100 degree temps but needed a substantial temp drop at night to offset it. Growing them outside is out of my element though. I think @Nepenthes0260 and @Matt keep theirs in greenhouses all year. They'd be better with recommendations.
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:Some claim they've had theirs out in up to 100 degree temps but needed a substantial temp drop at night to offset it....@Matt keep theirs in greenhouses all year
Yes, I left all of my Cephalotus outside in the greenhouses this summer even when temperatures got over 100F. The hottest day we had was 113F and the greenhouse was certainly hotter than that. Night-time lows almost always get under 60F here though, even if the daytime high is super hot. The Cephalotus weren't a fan of the very hot temps, but it didn't kill them.
By Bobioden
I bagged it up, and put a couple hole in the bag. Should I not do the holes? I might move it to the bathroom. Skylight gives great light and it’s humid in there.
By Apollyon
If you're talking little puncture holes I doubt it'll be a big deal. a little air is actually good for the plants. If the holes are large though I'd redo the bag. Typically I'll keep a closed bag or humidity dome until I can tell they're healthy then I'll start acclimating with airflow. When they're bagged I recycle the air every day or two by opening it up and resealing it.
By Apollyon
Matt wrote:
Apollyon wrote:Some claim they've had theirs out in up to 100 degree temps but needed a substantial temp drop at night to offset it....@Matt keep theirs in greenhouses all year
Yes, I left all of my Cephalotus outside in the greenhouses this summer even when temperatures got over 100F. The hottest day we had was 113F and the greenhouse was certainly hotter than that. Night-time lows almost always get under 60F here though, even if the daytime high is super hot. The Cephalotus weren't a fan of the very hot temps, but it didn't kill them.
I'd love to keep mine outside. Temps usually stay under 100 but the nights drop maybe 10 degrees. This is unrelated but I was very surprised; that Sarr you sent my way is currently flowering. Thanks a lot dude!
Matt liked this
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:This is unrelated but I was very surprised; that Sarr you sent my way is currently flowering. Thanks a lot dude!
You're very welcome! Post photos when you get a chance and try to gets some seeds from it too :D
By Bobioden
One month update - getting some growth. I had it bagged for the first 3 weeks. It has been living in my bathroom. There is a huge skylight so it gets alot of light all day long, and humidity from the showers each day. It seems to like where it is.

When I first got it:
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0676.jpeg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 3906 times
Today, one month later. Getting some growth on the leaves.
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg (674.13 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
IMG_0771.jpeg
IMG_0771.jpeg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 3906 times
Last edited by Bobioden on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollyon, MikeB liked this

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!