FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Coog61
What brand of RO membrane is everyone using? All the ones on Amazon look about the same and they often fail early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By f1appyb1rd
I got tired of having to constantly buy jugs of distilled water so I got an RO system from bulk reef supply that I am very happy with. I live in Philadelphia where the tap water is pretty hard (~230 ppm) so I went with the 5 stage RO. Have been using the RO system to fill a 55 gallon barrel for about a year now and I still get 0 ppm water from it. 5 stage might have been overkill in my case because the 3 stage RO is cheaper, but it all depends on the tap water where you live.

By sanguinearocks101
f1appyb1rd wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:24 pm I got tired of having to constantly buy jugs of distilled water so I got an RO system from bulk reef supply that I am very happy with. I live in Philadelphia where the tap water is pretty hard (~230 ppm) so I went with the 5 stage RO. Have been using the RO system to fill a 55 gallon barrel for about a year now and I still get 0 ppm water from it. 5 stage might have been overkill in my case because the 3 stage RO is cheaper, but it all depends on the tap water where you live.

Do you have an estimate of how many gallons of water you get per filter? How much does each filter cost? I’m just trying to see how many gallons of water I would have to use in order for it to be worth it.
By f1appyb1rd
It’s not really gallons of water per filter because the water passes through all 5 filters. My RO system is rated at 100 gallons per day. This works for me because I have a lot of plants to water and a full 55 gallon barrel lasts me a while. It is also kind of expensive, but I feel it was a wise investment that makes my life easier.

There are cheaper options to obtain clean water. One that I wish I had known about when I started growing CP’s is the Zero Water pitcher, which is more cost effective for smaller collections.

By Apollyon
Supercazzola wrote:How much waste is there with an RO system? Is it like 1 gallon of waste for every 1 gallon of RO H2O?
It's roughly a 50/50 deal. Overall thoughm, if you have a large number of plants, an RO machine is the way to go. I would be hemorrhaging money if I had to buy the stuff. Using like 15 gallons a week. Machine has easily paid for itself. As for a unit, I just use a countertop 5 stage RO system cost about 200 dollar IIRC
By f1appyb1rd
Supercazzola wrote:How much waste is there with an RO system? Is it like 1 gallon of waste for every 1 gallon of RO H2O?
The bulk reef supply website lists the waste water to product water ratio for mine as 3:1. But I think it also depends on the water pressure from the tap.

By Supercazzola
I used to have one for my coral tank. I’m probably going to need to buy something soon, at least until the rainy season starts here in FL. Then I will have more than I will know what to do with. But the rain is at 12-14 ppm.

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!