FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
DragonsEye wrote: Now the big Q .... Have any of you ever bought a container of snacks or whatnot that you might otherwise have decided to "be strong and just say no" because you started thinking how handy that container could be for plants or critters?
I make my bf buy the 64 oz soft drink size whenever he gets fast food, because i like to use the tall cups for VFTs. He'll probably lose his toes to diabetes but whatever, totally worth it.
By sanguinearocks101
elaineo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 am
DragonsEye wrote: Now the big Q .... Have any of you ever bought a container of snacks or whatnot that you might otherwise have decided to "be strong and just say no" because you started thinking how handy that container could be for plants or critters?
I make my bf buy the 64 oz soft drink size whenever he gets fast food, because i like to use the tall cups for VFTs. He'll probably lose his toes to diabetes but whatever, totally worth it.
Next you must sacrifice your house and turn it into a giant bog.
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
One more idea: turn the container from a rotisserie chicken into a mini-greenhouse for seedlings. You have a reasonably deep bottom tray for soil and a high, clear dome for humidity control.
By tracieh
@MikeB I will buy specific cookies based on their containers for this purpose!! Chinese take out soup containers have to be my favorite though.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

MikeB, Supercazzola liked this
By ChefDean
Another thing I forgot to mention is the food containers that are sold as disposable. I usually buy the about 6 inch square containers for leftovers, and they usually serve that purpose for a while. They're not made for long term, but I keep them around.
Once they get a little ugly, they get turned into trays.
They're cheap, and most plastic is photodegradeable in some fashion, so they only last a season or two before they need to be replaced. But I can get a 5 pack for around $1.50, more if I catch them on sale.
By Bixtor36
MikeB wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:19 am One more idea: turn the container from a rotisserie chicken into a mini-greenhouse for seedlings. You have a reasonably deep bottom tray for soil and a high, clear dome for humidity control.
These are one of my favorites to use for seedlings! We definitely pick up more rotisserie chickens than we would otherwise :lol: meal + mini-greenhouse makes it too hard to pass up when walking by them at the supermarket
MikeB, Supercazzola liked this
By MikeB
Supercazzola wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:57 pmI’m having difficulties trying to locate 1020trays with no drain holes that are anything other than black. I know it is slightly off topic, but what are you using for the trays from a recycled aspect ?
Greenhouse Megastore now has 1020 trays in colors other than black:

Colored 1020 Trays, Mega Heavy Duty
Magenta, orange, blue, green, or white
$41.99 per 5-pack

$8.40 per tray - ouch! The Mega Heavy Duty trays in black are only $3.50 a pop. I bought some of the mostly white Mondi trays, and they were pricey, too.
By ChefDean
Only paint the outside.
However, many exterior spray paints are waterproof, so leaching shouldn't be a problem as long as it has been allowed to cure properly, usually 24 hours at 70°F.
elaineo liked this
By DragonsEye
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:55 am
Next you must sacrifice your house and turn it into a giant bog.
Well I live in an apt and a bog is out as my plant tastes are too eclectic. But considering I have over 200 plants in my apt, your "sacrifice" idea isn't too far off the mark. :mrgreen:
By ChefDean
I was today years old when I discovered that Chobani yogurt containers, the quart size at least, have a wrapper with perforations that make it easy to remove.
Boom!
Medium to large pot!
Panman, MikeB, Supercazzola liked this
By Panman
After a good cleaning, ground turkey trays make good water trays. Now I don't need to sacrifice my wife's storage containers to keep my plants hydrated.
By optique
I try not to bag a new Nepenthes, I prefer to bottle it.
Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!