FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
First off, I live in the “sunshine” state of Florida. Even in the winter, our USDA Zone 9b sun can get pretty intense. We were having a nice mild winter, so I moved my America Pitcher plants out of the grow tent, and outside on a south-facing bench. The plants themselves were awesome, but within a day or so, I noticed that the live sphagnum moss was suffering. Tips were browning / drying out.
It’s probably obvious, but I am curious was the sun too much for the sphagnum, and if so, how are folks in other states growing such lovely plants with live moss covering the growing media?
I had hoped to make a hole in a big piece of pumice I came across and make a rock garden like the folks at Sarracenia NW have, but I am guessing sphagnum won’t make it.
By Benny
Tips browning can be either the sun being too intense, or it is drying out. Sphagnum grows best with plants requiring milder temps and sunlight (neps, some sundews,). The issue with growing them on flytraps or sarrs is that it is hard to keep the top layer moist 24/7.
Supercazzola wrote:I had hoped to make a hole in a big piece of pumice I came across and make a rock garden like the folks at Sarracenia NW have, but I am guessing sphagnum won’t make it.
I have always found those quite cool. Let us know if you end up doing one!
Supercazzola liked this

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!