FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
So I live in USDA Zone 9b. I have some Drosera, Nepenthes, VFT, and Sarracenia. I built a multi tiered plant stand that I was hoping to place several 1020 trays filled with rain water, and bring my plants outside.
My challenge is my backyard gets lots of full sun. Probably 6-7 hours. I was hoping to find a solution where some of my plants could be under the shade for some of the day. I know each CP has its own needs. For example, I may just keep the Nepenthes on the covered part of the pool patio, so they could get a few hours of direct sun (filtered through the screen) each morning, and then indirect light the rest of the day.
I think the sundews and VFT should be OK with plenty of sunshine. Also the Sarracenia.
But say I was trying to cut down on the hours of direct sun, is there a way to use some sort of shade fabric at a given angle so that when the sun appears at a certain place in the sky, the plants switch from direct sun to 30% reduced (i.e. 70% of the light gets through)?
Eventually, I’ll probably study the backyard more, and find where trees do this for me naturally, but I would also need to keep the animals away.

Ideas and suggestions are very much appreciated.
Thanks
By Apollyon
My friend uses a 50% shade cloth (mounted on a pop-up greenhouse) to grow his Nepenthes outside during the warmer months. From what I saw, they colored up well so there wasn't an issue with light.

I think I would personally cover it entirely to be safe if I was doing that. I know a guy who adjusted his grow setup for the warmer months but left them out in the winter. With the seasonal change, the sun's positioning changed and hit a spot previously covered and almost burned out his black miracle (I would've cried). Covering it entirely would just be the safer play though I would imagine covering the top as well as the west may suit your cause (I'd rather have morning sun than afternoon where it is most intense).

The VFTs and Sarrs will do fine with however much sunlight you can give them. Mine are in unobstructed sunlight all year. The sundews would totally depend but I keep binata in partial, our heat is just too intense. The plant grows but looks terrible for a few months. Filiformis do fine as well as capillaris, intermedia and its hybrids (I have a Drosera x Nightmare in full sun). There is also what I believe to be a Tokaiensis hanging out in a VFT pot out there which I was surprised to see but it hung tough through the summer and it's grown alright. Hope that helps.
Matt, Supercazzola liked this
By Supercazzola
Awesome, thank you. Now I just need to figure out how to add the shade fabric to the multi tiered stand we built. I guess a photo would help.
image.jpg
image.jpg (4.07 MiB) Viewed 6742 times
If you see the shelf closest to the house, we purposefully made a shelf under it. My thoughts are to get some hooks and hang the Nepenthes in that region on the bottom and then shade fabric can go on the South and West sides. Possible directly overhead too, but the shelf above it blocks most sunlight. This is on my South side of the house, so the thing “steps down” toward the south. (The photo was taken looking toward the North / North East.)
By Apollyon
Hard to say with the nep but it isn't a bad play. Idk, if I had a bench like that I'd probably do something like the pic below. Maybe extend it down of cover both sides but it'd be a decent way to maximize space. Just have to get more sundews or something lol. Would need to account for adult height as well. Just an idea. Interested to see what you do with the bench. I was thinking of doing something very similar before spring.
Attachments:
Screenshot_20210126-163132_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210126-163132_Chrome.jpg (202.43 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
By Supercazzola
I was thinking about shade fabric where I placed the green checkered areas. Then use the area under it for the Nepenthes
008AB22D-33A0-482E-8C8F-0BACE7797F53.jpeg
008AB22D-33A0-482E-8C8F-0BACE7797F53.jpeg (878.9 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
excuse the crude sketch...
230ECD37-5D63-4E40-8B2C-6F75A715720E.jpeg
230ECD37-5D63-4E40-8B2C-6F75A715720E.jpeg (713.27 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!